neron15210

EstiMate quick quote FREE

My FT job consists of constant rush jobs, we even have the "hot rush" and "super hot rush" now...It is a monster we created! We live in a world of instant gratification and no one can wait for anything. All that it does is create a lazy customer who waits until the last minute to get things rolling...

I always take care of friends ASAP...They are the ones who keep you in mind and help spread the word. And I rely on word of mouth for the most part. Everyone else get 1 "get out of jail free" card, then its tough titty. If someone randomly comes to you with a rush, it could mean someone else got tired of their BS, and it got to the point where their business wasn't worth it...

The straw that broke my back was a customer that would rush me on design work like there was a gun to their head. Then disappear for a month and reappear with the need for a finish product in a day or 2. Then they'd wait until they needed something else (in a rush), and call me with, "Oh, and I still owe you money, right"...Almost like, do this rush and I'll pay you for the last rush...

They gave me a lot of work, but burned me out and made me hate what I do...Dropping them gave me the focus I needed to really get things going!

John you and i seem to march to the beat of the same drum!  I don't carry the clout that you do on this forum, I have only been doing this for about 2 months now, but all I can say in my experience is those I have done work for seem blown away that I genuinely work hard to get them exactly what they want, and get it to them for a price that I make money and they don't lose an arm over it.  That is what I want to be known for because those are the type of people that I love doing business with, and the type of people that continue to get my repeat business over and over. 

I just treat people the way I want to be treated. I've been on the other side of the fence. I've been hungry and without a place to sleep. Sure, I don't make the big bucks that some sign guys are making ...but what I have, I didn't have to gouge someone for and I sleep well at night knowing it. It all boils down to this...should you do something just because you CAN? Or should you do things based on what your heart tells you is RIGHT? I'm not looking to get rich,just make a living. As recent events have taught me,life is short and you sure can't take it with you.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Your time is worth ONLY what someone is willing to pay you. If you are sitting on your butt, you are getting paid zero so your time is worth zero. CASH flow is what keeps a business going. YOu can't pay the bills on wishful thinking.

A lot of sign pros call it 'price slashing'..I call it a SALE. Kinda like offering a free trial on something. You give them something at a reduced rate,temporarily,hoping that you will get more busness in the future.

I think banner John is dead on here.

we can all dream of charging 50 or 60 per hr but you have to be realistic and judge the area your in.

Up around us our economy is driven by window companies and they are all but shut down.

Like John says we are only worth what someone is willing to pay us.  I think most of us agree $20 is $20 in our pocket and not Fast Signs.

We must never forget that after a while $20 here $10 here adds up, and hopefully more business.

If we charge a small customer $25  for a 4" x 6" decal, (that we already have drawn) he is less likely to buy more. If we give him two for that price

he thinks he has a deal and comes back next time.

I have sold a lot of decals for $5 - $10  and it adds up to more than $50 /hr when you figure out the time and matl. for each. So we do not need to

charge a min all the time.

Like John mentions  it is CASH FLOW.

my $.02

Dave

So i add the quick quoter and then lets say the RTA plug in, the plug in in the cart says "FREE with your purchase of an EstiMate Edition" is it still 100% free? I just wanted to know if i put in my addy and all if they would bill me lol

Does this copy have a expiration date?

Thanks for the lively discussion...  :thumbsup:  I have owned a computer programming business for the last 30 years..  I built relationships.  Not customers.  There's a BIG difference.  Relationships survive down times.  If you have just customers, good luck.  Whether I developed a large enterprise system or a mom and pop invoicing program,  my "customers" knew I was their "programmer". 

I have enjoyed this forum immensely!  Thanks for all of the tips and advice ya'll have given. 

Pappy

Thanks for the lively discussion...   :thumbsup:  I have owned a computer programming business for the last 30 years..  I built relationships.  Not customers.  There's a BIG difference.  Relationships survive down times.  If you have just customers, good luck.  Whether I developed a large enterprise system or a mom and pop invoicing program,  my "customers" knew I was their "programmer". 

I have enjoyed this forum immensely!  Thanks for all of the tips and advice ya'll have given. 

Pappy

I'm starting that field right now in Computer Science degree (little over a year left). And you talk about tuff!!!  :'(

Ok, I finally had a chance to install this and play around with it tonight.  All I can say is, wow...  I would never have paid $199 for this without playing with it, there's no doubt about it, but now that I have...

All of you who have doubts, install it and try it out.  Pretty much everything is customizable, what you pay for vinyls, app tape, etc.

YOU set your labor rate, and there are standardized upcharges (install, clean, etc) that automatically calculate the added cost based on the labor rate.  Even adjustments for how busy your shop is, as well as the situation in the market.  See the screenshot for more.

14mgl4y.jpg

Mark, thanks much for this, f***ing awesome.  I will definitely be buying a few modules down the road.

I am going to use the hell out of this. 

One more thing, I would love to hear any input anyone has about the "Market Level" slider.  I thought about quoting a RTA, calling a few places, taking an average, and adjusting the slider under that slightly.

I am diggin this sh*t, man...

It's a SWEET deal man! This is gonna make the task of pricing stuff SOOOOOO much easier! I have already used it today to quote a job and got it!

Danny

OK, I downloaded the free demo with the vinyl and painted signs plug-in.

I did an estimate for a 2x6 banner. It gave me an estimate of $60.04

which is .04 cents more than I get with my $5 a square foot method. Except it took me about 10 minutes to fill in everything.

I can see using it if I did more than banners on a regular basis but at $99 per additional plug-in,not worth it for me. My simple,easy method works fine for banners and takes seconds.

I can also see why the basic one plug-in version is free,at $99 for each additional plug-in. I bought a laser printer awhile back for $50 at office depot. Loved the price til I ran out of toner ($73). Luckily, I know how to do the refill thing.

Recommendation: small shops, part-time on the side businesses,hobbiests...get the free version with the plug-in you are most likely to use.

loving this software, i ask for some help on here for pricing an 4 x4 aluminum sign fivestar told me 120-130, this software gave me 132.00. five, u were dead on it.

does anybody know how to put a customers name in. i can't figure it out. i have the sign software. i really like this. thanks mark. btw the quotes r 100 bucks over my area sign shop prices hehe. gonna check on the aluminum pricing from warehouse tomorrow.

but i really would like to know how to add a customers name, any body have an idea?

thanks in advance

sheila

loving this software, i ask for some help on here for pricing an 4 x4 aluminum sign fivestar told me 120-130, this software gave me 132.00. five, u were dead on it.

does anybody know how to put a customers name in. i can't figure it out. i have the sign software. i really like this. thanks mark. btw the quotes r 100 bucks over my area sign shop prices hehe. gonna check on the aluminum pricing from warehouse tomorrow.

but i really would like to know how to add a customers name, any body have an idea?

thanks in advance

sheila

well never mind, i found my answer which is u can't do that. oh well i will just write it in if it lets me print it.

I downloaded this after I went through the whole process on the site to get an email sent to me. It had me download version 2.0. Got an email shortly with the serial number in it. Ran the program typed in the serial number ( wouldn't let me copy and paste, I hate that :-)  ) It sat there for a while and then popped up a message saying it could not connect to the licensing server, please check your internet connection. The same connection I had just used to Get the software.... receive the email and subsequently file a tech support item on.

In the program there is very little in the way of support in the help pages. They deal more with someone using the program. but I thought, maybe I could try the update link. It takes me to their site, where I find a link to download version 2.2+ , I am thinking why not be delivering the Newest version in the email in the first place, but oh well. So the upgrade file I downloaded was in fact the full install, same file name and everything just a different version. Installed it (it does install quick) It picked up my serial number from before. But I retyped it to be safe. Same window pops up. Same little box pops up, cant find server.

I tried their site, tech support, I was eventually able to dig through the support area, (not even close to organized like this site) and I found an article with my exact problem. Basically said to email them or call them and they would send you a licensing file by email. I had already emailed and not received any response. So I called, only to find their hours are only daytime hours M-F EST. So I guess I will sit and wait to see if they get back with me.

Now be aware, I am not doggin' this software, but I feel it pertinent to share with everyone here what I experienced trying to use it. Everybody on here has been great n sharing info with me and making sure i know if something can or cannot be done. I am only getting the 'Free' version, but had I decided to spend $99 each on 3 or 4 modules, I would probably be a little bit miffed that I couldn't use my new program. If they contact me and I get it working I will post here on the results.

I can't really get the hang of the RTA Graphics plug in. I don't know really where to set each slider. Also the first screen where you setup your market margin and everything is confusing since i have no idea.

I did receive the file they promised first thing Monday morning, I am at work so I can't check it out till I get home, I'll let ya know how it goes.

I tried the software, it gave me a quote that was .04 cents higher than I had already done in my head. BUT see the attached pic and have a look at the crap it put on my desktop after I used it.

In addition,acording to my firewall, the software attempted on 5 different occasions to send a packet back to the developer. I don't like software that phones home.

BannerJohn,

Sorry that happened to your desktop!  We have a knowledgebase article about that issue here, and it has also been resolved already for the build coming out on April 7.  It's a rarity, but can happen sometimes.

EstiMate Database Files All Over The Desktop

I'm assuming from your comments that you're not using EstiMate anymore, and have probably already cleaned up your desktop and unistalled it.  If not, the above knowledgebase article explains how to take care of it, and if you are in your 14 days of free support for QuickQuoter we will even be happy to remote in to your computer with CoPilot and do it for you at no charge.. just email support@estimatesoftware.com to set up a support appointment.

As far as "phoning home," there is also an article in our knowledge base about that here:

Does EstiMate "Phone Home?"

EstiMate checks for a new version online each time you start it up, so you can stay current.  Attached to that knowledge base article is a copy of the text file it downloads so you can see exactly what it's doing behind the scenes.

We do our best to keep our knowledge base well updated, so if you ever look there and don't find an issue covered you are welcome to email customerservice@estimatesoftware.com and request an article on any topic.  We have a queue of articles and try to write several each week.

bannerjohn, the same thing happened to me. I installed it, and when I couldn't get it to work right away i tried to create a new database, i just assumed it would select the data folder in it's home folder, but nope.

anyway, they did send me the file for the license registration. I pasted it onto my desktop,, lol.... then it (their words) absorbed it into it's self. And it now runs fine. I put in information as I though it would apply to my area. Did an estimate for a banner and it came out right about where I estimated it in my head.

The one thing I don't understand is, the Pro version is $399 and it has the customer management (kind of important to be able to put the customers name on the estimate), but i could spend upwards of $1100 (if I bought all 12 plugins) and never get this functionality in the Quick Estimator.

I realize business software is expensive but Sheesh, Say my shop takes off (yay yay), and I decide I need a couple helpers. I want one in the back to be able to do estimates for bigger clients, but still need the functionality of estimates at the front desk for walk ins. Also i need it on my office pc to be able to manage things. If I have it right from the info on their website I would need the following.

1.Estimate Enterprise    +$699

2.Multi User Server      +$299

3.Network Seat 3-pack +$599

4.Quickbooks Link        +$199 ( My accountant would require this.)

5.Profit Watch Calc      +$ 29 (what the hell it's only $29)

For a Grand total of    =$1825

ROFLMAOTNTPMP  :D:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :'(

I'm sorry, that's my upgrade from a Laserpoint to a Graphtec, not happening in this lifetime.

Just my 1 3/4 Cents worth of input.

ps. put the customer name in the Quick version -- I might change my mind.

I have had EstiMate software for 2 years now... and it is good software to have.... If your shop is bussy 40 hr a week 52 weeks a year.. I no I'm not that bussy.. are you..? 

just my 2 cent

I just treat people the way I want to be treated. I've been on the other side of the fence. I've been hungry and without a place to sleep. Sure, I don't make the big bucks that some sign guys are making ...but what I have, I didn't have to gouge someone for and I sleep well at night knowing it. It all boils down to this...should you do something just because you CAN? Or should you do things based on what your heart tells you is RIGHT? I'm not looking to get rich,just make a living. As recent events have taught me,life is short and you sure can't take it with you.

Aman  john :thumbsup: