JoeCamaro

Can I cut Index cards with my plotter?

Ok

I would like to cut some stencils to make spray painted shirts. I have used polifles and it obviously has a backing. The question is:

Can I cut Index material with this plotter? Can I cut entirely trought something, or does it need a backing?

Thanx!

Pretty much anything you cut would need a backing...  Keeps the stuff you dont want to keep from mooving into the stuff you want to keep and vice versa...  I would use somthing like application tape on the back of it... It should keep things held togther enough... The only problem that I foresee is peeling the app tape off when you are done may tear up your paper...

How about oiled stencil board... I believe that you can get it like at crafts stores... The oil in the board would aid in the release of the app tape, and probaby would last alot longer then index cards.

If you are cutting through index paper you would have to make sure that your blade was set deep enoough to get through the material. Also all cardboard products dull blades FAST. So keep that in mind as well. If you don't have a backing material and can design your cutouts with stencil tabs so they aren't totally disconected that may work.

if you are cutting a stencil for t-shirt applications, why not just buy some cheap calendered vinyl on ebay and use that?

or idea #2 save the backing paper from your next job,  apply application tape to the backing material and squeegee. should run through your cutter jusr fine but you may need to make blade depth adjustments.

I was wanting to make somewhat durable stencils.  I took a piece of 8-1/2" x 11" card stock, laminated both sides with vinyl then put transfer tape on one side as my backing.  I had to adjust the knife much deeper, bump the pressure way up and slow the machine down to a crawl, but they actually cut out pretty nice.  the vinyl on both sides makes it pretty much Sharpie proof.  It was simple stuff, mostly straight line cuts I haven't tried anything more complex so it may or may not work for your application.

Thanx

I will take into consideration your recomendations (all of them) then I will make a chocie. I really dont want to make this on a regular basis. I just wanted to do some sprayd shirts, like for limited editions.

Thanx

Joe

Joe,

I've been having good luck (today) cutting card stock. I basically used a low tack spray glue on a similar piece of card stock and stuck the other piece of card stock to it.

I set the cutter speed to 30 and pressure to 180 and it cut cleanly through the top layer. I was also able to reuse the bottom piece several more times without adding more adhesive.  That was a new blade too..

The new challenge will be cutting out the template after it's been plotted... I'm sure I'll have to play around with the offset but so far it looks pretty promising since this is my first day cutting anything  :huh:

Good luck

Thanx Popeye! Thats great. Im wondering if you have any pics you could share?

Thanx again

Joe

Part of the reason I purchased this cutter was to do both vinyl and paper cutting. I don't know if many of you have seen the Cricut scrapbook cutter. Provo Craft makes it. The cutter wouldn't do what I wanted that is why I went with this cutter but...the tack board that they use for their cutter I have been able to use with the Copam 2500 machine. What is it you ask? A sturdy plastic, bendable board with tack on it to hold cardstock, scrapbook paper etc. while it is being cut. They just resently added two new sizes. The first one I got was only 6 inches by 12 inches. They now offer 12 x 12 and a 12 x 24 inch. (I have tried finding the larger sizes on-line, haven't seen them yet but many scrapbook stores, fabric stores, ebay, etc. carry the supplies. They are at stores where I live, western states area.) The sticky stuff does eventually wear off and you have to be careful not to touch it too much with your fingers or the oils from your hands wears it off too, but so far I have had nothing but FUN cutting papers with the Copam and the tack board. It holds well enough that I have cut out some pretty small and intricate lettering for various events.

Good Luck.

Let me know if you need more info

pianomom

That is interesting.. I tried using a 2' x 2' self healing mat and the roller would just spin out, to slick and not enough friction I guess. I ordered 2 more pinch rollers for my Pcut and I'm hoping that takes care of it.

In the mean time, I've just been gluing two pieces of stock together.

Did you happen to have a link to their site?

Thanks for the info

Here are two different links. The first is the main web page for Provo Craft. You can search through it. The Cricut is the cutter and it is the tack mat accessory that I have used. The second one is directly to the info about the smallest sized tack mat.

http://www.provocraft.com/

http://www.provocraft.com/products/detail.php?cl=cricut&scl=tools%20and%20accessories&cat=&item=29-0003

I still haven't seen the larger sizes for sale online but they are for sale in stores. I would think if there aren't any available where you live you could phone the stores in my area they would gladly mail them to you, or at least tell you where to get them. Good luck. And have tons of fun!!

Pianomom

Thanks for the information :)

I thought I had everything dialed in but apparently the paper is slipping. Hoping 2 more pinch rollers do the trick.

Thanks again

The Cutting mats you buy are not cheap                                                                                                                                        make your own here iis how I make mine for the 81/2 by 11 go to the wal mart or Quilt or fabric store and get a 6 pack of Extra thick template Quilting plastic for the larger one look in kitchen supplies and get the 12x15 flexible cutting mats come 3 in a pack  Walmart also has them go to a craft or paint store and buy Krylon Easy tack repositionable bond for lightweight material. I spray them light two times let  them sit for 3 hours, don't buy anything but the Krylon I tried them all.  You don.t need the paper they put on the ones you buy, Put them in my Robo and on the new laser point both work good better then the ones I bought.  Cover them with wax paper or use the wax side of freezer paper. I use them for transfer paper on my Robo and the new laser point they will go under the rollers just fine. Hope this helps and saves you money on new ones.