I am new to heat press vinyl, just purchased a cheap heat press a few weeks ago.  My eyes are not to bad (reading glasses), but how do you see the cuts in the vinyl to weed it?  Large block letters are ok, I just tried a soccer ball & it was all quess work. I know that I do not know what I am doing,but what is the trick?

Thanks for any advice

cas26rr

I use a headlamp that I had bought for night fishing.  :D  It works really good but, I get made fun of by my husband.

Does the vinyl that you are using have a colored backing paper or is it white? If it's white it is really hard to see the cuts.

If you have the time, roll up the vinyl after cutting (vinyl side out) and throw a rubber band around it or tape it to hold it rolled up, let it sit overnight. The cuts are usually a little easier to see because the vinyl will "pull away" a little bit where the cuts are.

Guest fivestar

Does the vinyl that you are using have a colored backing paper or is it white? If it's white it is really hard to see the cuts.

If you have the time, roll up the vinyl after cutting (vinyl side out) and throw a rubber band around it or tape it to hold it rolled up, let it sit overnight. The cuts are usually a little easier to see because the vinyl will "pull away" a little bit where the cuts are.

Ummmmm........heatpress vinyl has clear backing (mylar)

lmao! @ five and bayshore.

have u tried printing ur pic out so u can kinda eyeball where u need to weed? it helps me on complex designs. also u can roll it backwards as bay shore mentioned  and the cuts will reveal themselves. depending on the image u can weed it out with ur fingers.

Thanks for all the helpful tips, I need all the help I can get.  I hope the new category will be used, it will help all of us that are just getting started. THANKS AGAIN

cas26rr

LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT.  I put in new lights on my workbench since I started this business, man what a difference! more light is always better, at least in my experience, helps with me being able to see things.  Other than that I really don't have any problems.

LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT.  I put in new lights on my workbench since I started this business, man what a difference! more light is always better, at least in my experience, helps with me being able to see things.  Other than that I really don't have any problems.

well in that case can u weed my stuff? :D

well in that case can u weed my stuff? B)

For a price :D LOL

Try using a fluorescent light, ( a small one , 18 in ) Lying on your weeding table. Seems easier to see the cuts. Also have your image selected on your screen so you can look to see what part your taking out.

Sometimes if a bright light isn't good enough, I use a cloth to clean the vinyl.  usually helps if the oxidation/dust is wiped off.

Hi all...I am new to this forum, just got my Pcut plotter.  I do some airbrush work

and will be  using it mainly to creat stencils, patterns, and some masks etc.

Maybe I can offer some assistance here.

I used to hand cut my stuff before(hence the plotter), so I did a lot of weeding before

as well. 

You could use very little baby powder or the chalk line that carpenters use. Rub very

little on over the pattern before weeding...blow and dust off the excess. and wipe clean.

now you can see the lines.

hope this helps.

It would be nice to think that I have something to offer so soon...hehe.

I know I'll be using all of you for assistance as well, in the plotter world.

Aloha from Hawaii too

Vern

:D

Bassplayer60 hit it on the head. (are you a Bass Player?)

Blue chalk line refill will last a long time. I add a little to an old coffee can lid and apply with a soft brush. Blow off the excess and get to work.

I also use a florescent light that was formerly a computer desk light.

Don't forget to wipe the finished product with a damp cotton swatch to remove the residual chalk.

This was the most difficult weeding challenge to date.

post-2849-12986533941102_thumb.jpg

post-2849-12986533953614_thumb.jpg

I have also heard of people putting some chalk in an old sock and tying the end.  You can bounce it on the vinyl, this is how the old pounce type pinstriping was done.