Sign in to follow this  
dnewcomb

Illustrator CS3 error - cooltype.dll

G'day

I recently installed a bunch of new fonts into my system, and every now and again, Illustrator will come up with an error on startup saying that cooltype.dll has an error, and it's going to crash out.  Start it up again, and it's ok.  Doing a search on the net, I find that this problem exists for people that seem to either have alot of fonts OR have 1 faulty font and it's screwing up the system.  Photoshop opens up just fine.

Main question is - how do you find that faulty font?  Or is it the font?

if it is the font, once you get into illy, type some txt, and start at the very top of the font list, and scroll down with the down arrow key one at a time until it locks up, or does something odd. (could just stop alltogether, give you the error, etc,) if you find one that does something odd, fire illy back up, and try the same thing again, and see if its the same font. If it is, just go to your C:/windows/fonts folder, find that font name, and just delete it...then rinse and repeat. How many fonts do you have installed? Alot of them can really mess up your system. I have around 10,000 fonts and only have like 75 installed atm. I use the font manager AMP. Its freeware, just google "amp font manager". that way you can view all of your uninstalled fonts, find the ones you want, and install them right from the program. Very handy little guy ;D

Hope ya find the problem child.

Well at least you found the problem..much easier to fix it when you know what youre fixin ;D

G'day

I recently installed a bunch of new fonts into my system, and every now and again, Illustrator will come up with an error on startup saying that cooltype.dll has an error, and it's going to crash out.  Start it up again, and it's ok.  Doing a search on the net, I find that this problem exists for people that seem to either have alot of fonts OR have 1 faulty font and it's screwing up the system.  Photoshop opens up just fine.

Main question is - how do you find that faulty font?  Or is it the font?

hi,

http://www.fix-all-dll-errors.com/cooltype.dll/

u can go to this site...this will also help in case of missing or download dll's or errors in dll's..!!

I also registered few dll's from this site...worked in my case ;D