Crewey

Can anybody identify my cutter?

Continued.... it has now come up with a "write port error"........................it will shortly be coming up with a "get me out of the bin" error!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Download SignBlazer for free, and see if it will cut using the MH721 driver in SBE. Will at least let us know if it is cutter or software related.....

Hi Crewey,

You definitely will not be able to cut direct from CorelDRAW, you will need a program like GoCut to make Corel cut direct, or a dedicated cutting program like Flexi, SignBlazer or VinylMaster Pro etc.  I set the exact same plotter up for a guy who had bought it from Ebay last week.  As long as the the plotter is connected properly you should be able to use the "test cut mode" the ensure that both your PC & Plotter are talking to each other.

I definitely think it's a port or cable problem.  Best of luck with it.    

Kenimes,

That free SignBlazer I think could be crippled and not cut, most of the sign cutting demo's will do everything but cut.  That could be one of the problems Crewey is having.  The thing to do first, is to get it to do a test cut from it's internal test mode, then you know it cabled right, and the plotter works.

Guest fivestar

Sign Blazer demo is COMPLETELY FUNCTIONAL.

I am using a full version of Flexi 8.5 (not a demo).  How would I get the cutter to do an internal test?  When I press the "test" button it just rolls the vinyl in and out and moves the blade back and forth a bit, but doesn't actually cut.

Where can I download a copy of Signblazer?

Thanks

SignBlazer Elements has a "Cut Test File" that says "If you have loaded vinyl into your cutter, you can cut this text by pressing Cutter, then press Cut!, then press Cut Tile."  The only reason I can give you that info, is because I have sitting here, the paper print out test we did on the plotter I set up last week  It should then cut those exact words in the SignBlazer test.  On the plotter's own test, it will just cut a small square approx. 2"x 2".  All that should confirm that it's all working OK.  I do not have or run SignBlazer so I'm not much help there.

Crewey,

That test button on the plotter you say it only moves a bit.  It should only move approx. 2"x 2" and cut a small square.  If it is doing that, the plotter is OK, it's then possibly the port or cable.  The 2 plotters I have owned have both run from the Parallel port.

Hi Joe, I have just checked again and it is cutting a small square.  This cutter has 3 connections; parallel, Serial and USB.  I have tried Usb, USB to Serial and now Serial to Serial.  I think it must be to do with the port settings but I have tried everything that I know!

I don't have a parallel port on either my PC or my laptop.

Thanks

Crewey

Good, that's the plotter OK, now I would see if you can do a cutting test in your full version of Flexi.  If you can't find where to do the test from, download the SignBlazer Elements and look for the test in there, but your Flexi should also have a test program in it.  Another thing is to makes sure you have the right driver installed in Windows.  You could search for a driver from the net if you're not sure about the one you,re using.  I'm not sure about using a Roland driver, I would think it would need it's own.  Here's a driver site you might like to try: http://www.driverguide.com/  But I'm tipping it's a port problem.

Thanks Joe.  I can't get the Signblazer software (page not available!).  However, I have also installed "Artcut" which came with the cutter.  I have tried a test with this (using the "Refine " drivers....nothing!  I have tried a test with Flexi Programme Manager...nothing (write port error").  I have installed the drivers that came with the cutter (Graphtec CE 2000-60 are recommended on the disc)....nothing.  I think you're right, it must be a port problem.  I have switched ports in the Device Manager to various different ports and I have re-installed the serial card drivers, but it makes no difference ("can't open port" messages).

I don't know about opening ports...I am just about ready to open the window...and dispose of the laptop and cutter!

Thanks for your help.

Crewey

Don't throw it, in time you'll just laugh about this, just hang in there.  I'm running a Camm-1 PNC 1000, I think it's on the printer port (LPT1) C:Windowssystem32DRIVERSparport.sys

The other com port (COM1) C:Windowssystem32DRIVERSserenum.sys

C:Windowssystem32DRIVERSserial.sys

I forget now it was that long ago, about 5 or 6 years ago and I know I had to change the port configuration.  I hope this is of some help to you.  Just keep trying, even try the guy you bought it off.  You're not running "Vista" are you?, I don't think Vista 64 bit supports any of the drivers.

the cut test in flexi is in the production manager, select your cutter in production manager, select setup from the menus, and test cut should be at the bottom.

Thanks Joe, there is no LPT1 in the ports list, and I'm using XP Home edition on the Laptop and XP Media Centre Edition on the PC, I've changed to virtually every port without success....I just give up!

Hi Dylan, I am using the cut test in Production Manager.  It justs sits there doing nothing (it says "cutting...0%") and then eventually comes up with  "write port error".

Thanks guys for all of your help.....I won't waste any more of your time.

Crewey

Guest crshirts

Try the device manager and make sure these are set

none

x on /x off

Carl

Hi Guys, sorry...its me again with an update and a plea. I changed computer and then tried running my Eureka via the serial port using Flexi production manager (trying various drivers Roland, Graphtec etc).  It said it was cutting 100% and then the job on screen disappeared (as if it had been done).  The cutter did not respond.  I tried the same via the Parallel port.  Exactly the same result.  The cutter does a self test ok.  Are there any diagnostics/troubleshooting that I could do next to ascertain what is wrong with the cutter.  When it is on the red "reset" light is on but no others.  In the display is the speed (9600) and the force (120g).  No errors etc.  I think the problem is definately with the cutter as I have tried it on USB.USB to Serial. Serial to Serial and Parallel.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I see you have gone round and round here and I would be happy to offer my assistance. If you would like my help drop me an email at kimon@signforums.com let me know when you will be available to work on your computer and plotter, have all the cables available and I will contact you and if needed set up a remote connection to try and test then setup your plotter.

It was nice chatting with you I hope you make lots of money and have fun with your cutter now that you are up and running. Should you need anything else give me a shout.

well,Kimon...after reading 3 pages we don't get to see the solution? Rather like reading a mystery only to find that someone tore the final page out.

Installed a trial of Signcut Productivity Pro, Installed USB drivers, plugged it in using a USB cable and he is off to the races.

Well guys...Kimon really is a Hero member!  After weeks and weeks of me trying in vain, he sorted out my problems last night and I'm up and running.  Thanks a million Kimon, you're a real star!

We installed Signcut, set up the USB and amazingly, the cutter sprang into action!  A few tweaks on the rollers and I have my first sign!!!  There'll be no stopping me now....

I'd also like to thank everybody who offered help and advice, it was invaluable and I really appreciate it.  Thanks guys (and girls).

I think I'll be a regular on here from now on!

Take Care

Dave

Yes, another reason customers who run SignCut need to upgrade to this updated version. The sooner, the better, especially if you are having similar issues.

:thumbsup:

Wow! This thread was an excellent read. So much valuable info on this board!  :thumbsup: