dustinjtrr

So what are your pet peeves?

I must admit I am somewhat of a grammar policeman.  On online forums I let it go because people type so casually, but there are a couple things that get me going.  Punctuation obviously goes right out the window online, which is fine...  I usually don't capitalize or punctuate properly online either. 

1. "alot" is not a word.

2. when people pronounce "across" as "acrost".  no one ever writes "acrost", but you will constantly hear people say things like "acrost the road".

3. people who throw a "b" into the word "supposedly"...  you always hear "supposably".

4. the worst BY FAR is when people say "beg the question".  you hear all kinds of "supposedly" intelligent, educated people like news anchors and reporters use that phrase incorrectly.  personally I don't think that I have ever heard someone ever use it correctly outside of a philosophy classroom.  most people think that it means to raise a question, but that is not the case.  it actually means to "beggar" the question or to cheapen it.  go to http://begthequestion.info/ if you would like to know how to correctly use the phrase, even though you will probably never run into a situation in common speech.  at least you can shake your head along with me when you hear someone say "that really begs the question".

Guest kenya

People asking REALLY stupid questions. I just look at them-  :thumbsup:

When people don't use the search option prior to asking a question or requesting a graphic/image.

Well mine isn't forum related...but...

When people walk by and something falls and they don't pick it up and keep walking.

Messy toothpaste tube....clean that up!

Messy ketchup tops...again wipe off top when done!

Oh and put a fresh roll of toilet paper ON the roller when empty!  :thumbsup:

LOL Jen, you can tell you are a Mom. The TP has to be the worse, do they think it just gets there by itself?

I'm usually pretty easy going and try not to let things bother me, life is too short. I guess my biggest problem are insecure people that are ruthless with others all in the name of self gain.

racists, bigots, and liars.

putting dirty clothes on the hamper instead of in it.

not putting things away.

people who don't know how to drive big vehicles but own them anyway.

trying to get help in a store when all the sales clerks are standing around gossiping with one another.

long lines at Costco, when Sam's Club has just as many customers, yet manages to have fast check outs.

Oh, the list can go on and on ...  ;D

Oh yah, and what FM said about the search function  :thumbsup:

Guest stunad, jr.

I must admit I am somewhat of a grammar policeman.  On online forums I let it go because people type so casually, but there are a couple things that get me going.  Punctuation obviously goes right out the window online, which is fine...  I usually don't capitalize or punctuate properly online either. 

1. "alot" is not a word.

2. when people pronounce "across" as "acrost".  no one ever writes "acrost", but you will constantly hear people say things like "acrost the road".

3. people who throw a "b" into the word "supposedly"...  you always hear "supposably".

4. the worst BY FAR is when people say "beg the question".  you hear all kinds of "supposedly" intelligent, educated people like news anchors and reporters use that phrase incorrectly.  personally I don't think that I have ever heard someone ever use it correctly outside of a philosophy classroom.  most people think that it means to raise a question, but that is not the case.  it actually means to "beggar" the question or to cheapen it.  go to http://begthequestion.info/ if you would like to know how to correctly use the phrase, even though you will probably never run into a situation in common speech.  at least you can shake your head along with me when you hear someone say "that really begs the question".

I felt the same when I was younger, but learned to accept and adapt over the years.  People come from all types of backgrounds and education levels.  I guess that is what makes this world go around.  Even with 4 years of college, I am in no position to correct people's grammar or spelleng.  My main pet peeves now are people's driving skills!!!

My pet peeve?

Grammar policeman.   :thumbsup:

Nice 1 Muttley , I say mine is " people with Pet Peaves " but everybody has them . I can put up with about anything , but not too big of a dose at a time . I find humor in most things until it goes past resonable . I think that is why I point out the lack of manners & rudeness on this forum .

My pet peave is Jenny !!! lol , fofl , pip  . Naaa , she is fun & I know this will make her laugh  ;D

MOST grammer police hate the  " your "  vs " you'r " thingy

I would have to say mine would have to be: People worrying about what others do instead of worrying about their own lives.

I would never correct someone that I don't either know closely or unless I am proofing a paper or something that needs to be formal or technically correct.

Hey bannerjohn can I add to my pet peeves?

5. People who cite wikipedia.

I'm just playing :thumbsup:

People using it incorrectly all of the time doesn't make it correct. 

Hey John ,

I understand what you mean about properly spoken english , but with pop culture & so much slang words being accepted into Webster's dictionary , what was not proper sometimes becomes proper . I think the  " King's English " is the standard , but not used much in this country since it broke away from England . Seems everybody puts thier flavor on the english langauge , especially the french canjuns  ;D

I'm glad you posted the " beg the question " 's true meaning , I didn't know that & that is interesting .  Thanks , :thumbsup: 

I would never correct someone that I don't either know closely or unless I am proofing a paper or something that needs to be formal or technically correct.

Hey bannerjohn can I add to my pet peeves?

5. People who cite wikipedia.

I'm just playing :thumbsup:

People using it incorrectly all of the time doesn't make it correct. 

as long as you don't make # 6 ; people who start threads about Pet Peaves  ;D ;D ;D

Hmmmm John you taking those heavy meds again? I read a lot but must admit never heard that one before. Off to see what that means......

my pet peeve is people who are pedantic. ;D

touche  :thumbsup:  ;D

Being referred to as a pedant, or pedantic, is generally considered insulting.[4] However some people take pride in being a pedant, especially with regard to the use of the English language. On internet forums these individuals are known as "grammar Nazis".

The above is to save the others from googling. Learnt a new word for the day, thanks to John :thumbsup:

It has been a hobby of mine for many years to learn a new word every day. I once had a calendar that taught you a new word every day. It's fun,and past a certain age,good for the brain.

While normally I'd agree w you John, this week learning Corel/Computer innards is stretching my brain to the point it hurts. :'(

Moderation...moderation.

Go to the library and get a book called "Lost Horizon" by James Hilton. Besides being a great book,it also has a good moral.