Sign in to follow this  
Monkeywithumbs

Another usb to serial adapter driver question?

I know this starts out like soooo many other posts, but, please, stick with me :)

In order to use my laptop for cutting, I had to get a usb to serial adaptor 'cause even though my ctn630 has a usb port, I could never get it to work. My adaptor arrived fresh from Hong Kong, hooked it up, installed driver that came with cable, set SB port accordingly and whala! It freakin' worked! Oh my, happy moment!.. I then unplugged cable and tried to push my luck by using a usb extension for more range (I'm just greedy like that) I plugged it back in and windows "new hardware found" prompt came up again telling me to install the driver for the new adaptor again. Thinking my greed was getting the best of me, I removed the extension and went direct again. Same prompt. Reinstalled the driver, and all was well again. Unplugged and re plugged the cable again and "new hardware found" prompt came up again! Very interesting, I thought. Maybe in HK, they just keep their driver disks in their drives and install them every time they want to use something. That seems highly impractical, especially for the Chinese.

Anyone know how to get the driver to stick? Am I in some sort of very, very bad "Groundhog Day" sequal or did I just get what I paid for? I dunno, the cable came from the same hemisphere and relative price range as my cutter which I have been very, very happy with and still am, matter of fact!

Thanks in advance!

MWT

I don't know how to solve your driver issue (hopefully someone else here can help). But, when you installed a USB to Serial adapter, you basically duplicated the hardware the is in the cutter - it does the same thing when you use a USB cable. I use my laptop to cut. It doesn't have a serial port and I had issues when I tried connecting with the USB. So, I went out and bought an adapter like you have. Still had occassional issues. I finally got to scratching my head and browsing on Ebay and found a PCMCIA serial port card. Ordered it using Buy It Now for around $25.00 (incl. shipping) and haven't had any problems since. Just something to keep in mind if you can't get a fix for the adapter issue.

Charlie