roboto

Cutting uncured thin carbon fiber? Help.

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a small cutter to cut carbon fiber parts out of uncured, unidirectional carbon fiber

with thickness of 0.003." (It is soft and easy to tear)  It has a backing material of similar thickness.

The parts that we are trying to make are on the order of 0.01"~0.5".

Since I have no experience with vinyl cutters, I just have few questions:

Is the blade direction automatically computer-controlled? (I would assume so)

Can the machine make sawing motion (moving up and down with respect to the material) instead of dragging the blade along?

Thanks.  This is for academic scientific research, and any help is greatly appreciated.  This process can seriously revolutionize

the way we made the carbon fiber parts.

I would assume that not many people (if at all) tried this kind of material, but I would like to have some opinions and feedbacks

regarding what kind of speculations can be made, or if you have experience with similar materials, what are some suggestions?

The cutter cannot make cuts like sawing.  The blade direction is not computer controled.

The machines are drag knife plotters.  The blade spins freely in the blade holder and is drug across the surface causing it to spin in the direction of the drag

I don't know if it will cut carbon fiber or not, but it sounds like laser cutting would probably be your best solution. It's a non-contact method, so your material doesnt move when the cutting is being done. Try taking a sample to a local engraver who does laser engraving and ask them to give it a try. If it works, you can than spend a ton of money for a laser engraver and do it yourself. If your doing quantity production, it's probably the way to go.