Sign in to follow this  
Cutting_Edge

Paint removal on a boat

Morning.....

Have been approached by a boat owner to remove painted name on his boat and replace w/ vinyl lettering......

What do I use to remove the paint from the boat w/o ruining the gel coat?

TIA

Margaret

Cutting Edge

I would suggest making the paint removal the boat owners problem and only supply the vinyl product and installation.  It sounds like a huge liability to me.  If you happen to use the wrong chemical or processes to remove the existing signage and cause further irreversible damage, you could be liable to provide corrective repair of the existing gelcoat or paint.

Guest fivestar

I agree dhawk.  I know I wouldn't take that responsibility.

Gelcoat is usually thick on a boat. It is not sprayed on after the boat is made like a car, it is the first thing to go in the mold. Then the glass is put in on top of it. I agree that you should make it the owners responsibility but if you are going to take it on yourself I would try very light abrasive just on the lettering.

Sent the info to the boat owner.....will see what he wants to do.....

I would rather not do the paint removal and if I have to, he will sign a release of liability for me.

Thanks for the info......

Margaret

yeah you did the best thing. I did my Dads boat but ONLY Decaled it. He had a professional resurface the bottom...

Wayne

Personally, there is no way I would even consider doing the removal. I did on my boat only because I know what was the overcoat, Still had to seal my work and buff it out to blend it. Its a chore to say the least.

Sent the info to the boat owner.....will see what he wants to do.....

I would rather not do the paint removal and if I have to, he will sign a release of liability for me.

Thanks for the info......

Margaret

very smart to talk waiver of liability, but i would send him to a body/paint shop to have the old lettering removed. they have the knowledge and equipment to do a better job than i.

bb