chefgary

Notebook repair

OK, I need to vent.  I just got off the phone with HP customer service.

They want to charge me for repairing my computer after they told me it was still under warranty.

They said the software was under warranty not the hard ware. HUH?  My usb port quit working and they are going to replace the motherboard. . . and charge $400.

I told them to have someone call me back who could explain to me why. (preferrably in english)

Now I've vented.

Thanks for listening, I'll keep you informed.

Gary

:rolleyes:;)

that's a new one... I've never heard for software warranty and not hardware. Hmmmm.... keep us updated.

Guest fivestar

WOW.......Software warranty and not hardware.... You got more USB ports?  If so just get you a USB hub for about $10.00 and have like 4 more USB ports.

I have two other ports that work fine.  The third one shorts out and resets my computer.  When they sent me an email and said it was still under warranty I thought I better do it.

I will keep you all innformed.

Gary

Gary,

Let me take a swing at this in the morning. If you could email me your part number and serial number I will see what I can do. I am a  Authorized reseller that can repair the Pavilion line PC (not many are allowed).  The only bad thing about this is I am in Austin and your where you are so you might have to only pay the shipping or I will see what I can do about HP sending  you the box to ship back to them.. we will see you can even call me if you would like.

Jay

service@360tech.com

888-883-0360

Jay thanks for your response.  I just got an email from HP support and they said that it is not under warranty due to "Evaluating Customer Damage" what ever that means.  I think they are just trying to get out of fixing it under warranty, because it has never been dropped or abused in anyway.  I sent back and as them what this means and told them to send it back.

I will keep you all informed

Gary

Jaymsimon I was wondering could answer a question for me?

I have a Pavilion ZE-4300 and need to keep pushing the on button a thousand times before it turns on?

For that reason it just sits in the closet I turn it on only 1 time a month to keep the battery charged.

Is there anything I can do? like blowing it out or something?

Any help would be GREAT

well i have an compaq laptop. they tried to pull that bull on me twice. they repaired it and a couple of months later it went out again. well after going totally off on their asses i asked for a supervisor which wanted to play stupid, then i called the corporate office and spoke with someone there who connected me to a higher power, got it fixed no charge and an apopogy. ask them to escalate ur call, it make take more than one call as with me, but it worked. they fixed and sent it to me right away overnight.

and then the higher power informed me that if i have anymore problems with in 90 days from repair call back it will be in the notes.

i hate their asses i will never purchase another compaq, hell i rather have an acer. good luck but call corporate on their asses and be persistent.

what was the actual purchase date?  and what is the actual issue with the usb port?  is it physically damaged in any way? 

another tip to give out to everyone is to stop calling for pc tech support.  if you have another machine use their chat tech support.  there are no wait times and no language barriers. 

the only issue i've ever had with hp/compaq tech support is that when they sent my laptop back it had a GIANT gash down the back panel.  i wrote an email to customer support and they replaced the case as well as giving me a free 3 year warranty.  so all in all they more than resolved the issue for me.  even when i used to do pc repairs I never had issues with hp/compaq.  sony is by far the worst when it comes to repairs and screwing people over.

I just sent another email to HP because my workorder can no longer be accessed.  Something funny going on.....I doubt they will actually call me as I requested.  I have more time playing this game than they do I'm sure.

Gary

I just got an email from HP saying that my laptop extimated delivery would be 2/10/09.  Who knows what that means.  I wrote back and told them thanks and was looking forward to having it back. 

They replyed back saying "Thank you for writing back to us.  You are welcome; It feels good working with a well informed customer like you."

I'm not sure what that means. either they are sending it back not fixed or athey are fixing it after calling their bluff.  If nothing else, their communication and response time has been very good.  I hate it when you are having problems and they ignore you.  At this point, I will give HP the benefit of the doubt.

I'll let you all know how it turns aou on the 10th.

Gary

How could they eval it with out you sending it to them? And they said it was warranty? What was the purchase date of the unit? Something doesnt sound right here.

I purchased the computer last summer.  I had been having with the usb port of a couple of months and I decided to write to the customer support to explain to them the problems I was having..  They made their determination from what I said was happening.

I just got a call from FedEx that they had a package for me this morning.  We will see if it will be returned fixed or not.

Thanks for your support.

Gary

I would like to let everyone know of my continued conversation over my HP laptop.  I did receive it back on Monday with the problem Unresolved.

Following is the email I sent to HP today:

I did receive my computer back on Monday, Thank you.

This experience has taught me a few lessons.

1. When I purchased my laptop from Staples last summer I paid a little extra money for the HP because I felt it would be worth it in the long run. It was not.

2. When some one tells you the problem is under warranty and the problem would be fixed no charge, because it was an internal problem, I won't be.

3. When a company lists a toll free number to call to help solve the problem, you will have to punch a number of buttons to reach a live body. When you do reach a "live body". that person will probably have no idea what you are talking about and their supervisor will tell you the same also. go figure.

4. When you ask to have someone who understands the English language, to call you both in an email and on the phone, they will not.

5. In this economy, rather than taking care of the customer to create repeat business, it is much easier tor companies to trick their customers into sending their products in for warranty repair and then surprise them with a quote of $400.00 to fix it. How stupid do you think this consumer is. I AM NOT!!

In return I will:

Purchase another computer when the time comes at a lesser price. NOT AN HP

Purchase other printers when my HP 2600 n, HP 450c, HP Deskjet D1560 c, wear out. NOT AN HP

Never pay extra for a name brand product because they don't care about the consumer.

I will inform Staples of my problem with HP.

Through this whole ordeal, I have received prompt communication from HP and I appreciate.

I hope some day this world will return the service oriented business that America was founded on, but I don't expect it anytime soon.

Thank You

Gary Bowen

They sent me the following email:

Hello Gary,

Thank you for writing back to us.

Although this service is provided as a means of technical support for our customers, we appreciate any feedback about our company's products and services. The e-mail message you sent has been reviewed and forwarded to the proper individuals. We value your comments.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Sherley

HP Total Care

Yes,  life is full of lessons.  I have learned a few new ones this last week dealing with HP. 

Just thought I would share with my friends.

Gary

Gary,

Let me take a swing at this in the morning. If you could email me your part number and serial number I will see what I can do. I am a  Authorized reseller that can repair the Pavilion line PC (not many are allowed).  The only bad thing about this is I am in Austin and your where you are so you might have to only pay the shipping or I will see what I can do about HP sending  you the box to ship back to them.. we will see you can even call me if you would like.

Jay

service@360tech.com

888-883-0360

Jay how hard/expensive is it to fix the left mouse button it still works but feels loose like something broke   

its a HP Pavilion dv 8000

Thanks Jay

Hey Ace,

I would assume it would be less expensive to buy another mouse? I have been through quite a few mice, and they are universal, work with any computer!

Renee

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/352-40338-4713/HP-Pavilion-dv8000-Series-Mainboard---Palm-Rest.html

it isn't very expensive, but it looks like it is built into the bottom casing so you are going to have to take nearly everything apart.  it isn't really that hard, but not for the squeamish.  you could see if there was somewhere local that might just charge you the install if you provide the parts.  they will mark up the parts like crazy. 

honestly though it would probably make more sense to just get a usb mouse because the laptop is probably at least 3 years old. 

no its the mouse controls in the laptop

guess i shoulda been a little more specific

Well that certainly makes a difference!

I have a question for you guru's, My laptop has suddenly shut off on me 3 times in the last month! I believe its still under warranty, today i plan to back everything up and take it to be checked but it gets really really hot. I dont notice it till it shuts off and i picked it up and leaned it back and felt the bottom of it. I used to be able to leave it on all the time now I'm afraid to do that so I make sure i turn it off. it shut off on me last night after i used it all day. I also unplug it as i noticed the black box thinger was hot as well. what would cause this?? Should I be really worried?

Renee

the power cable is always going to be hot. 

How old is the laptop?  Does it shut off when you do anything specific or do you just come back to it having already shut off?  Do you hear the fan running?  What make/model of laptop do you have?

the power cable is always going to be hot. 

How old is the laptop?  Does it shut off when you do anything specific or do you just come back to it having already shut off?  Do you hear the fan running?  What make/model of laptop do you have?

Hey Dustin,

My computer is almost a year old, its an HP Pavilion Entertainment pc. Has a bigger screen which is why I chose it. Actually I dont hear a fan running and it just shuts off, I mean it doesnt power down or anything it just cuts off. Last night I was playing a game on it when it happened. I dont have any other problems with it, but I am worried its just going to cut off and never come back on. The three times this has happened, I just unplugged it and left it alone until the next day and then i would pray that it would come back on! I think maybe there is a switch in it that makes it cut off before it gets to the melting stage...lol. I dont know!

Renee

It's probably overheating.  All modern laptops will shut down when they get dangerously hot to prevent damage.  Most laptop fans are relatively quiet, but you can usually hear if you really listen, or if you put your hands around all of the little openings.  Try turning a game on and lifting the laptop up to really listen for the fan.  If you can't hear it then it probably died and it's going to continuously overheat.  I would send it back to HP for repair.  Let me know what you hear with the fan first though. 

If you do contact HP the best way to do it is through their online chat.  There are no wait times and no language barrier.  People always get all bent out of shape about waiting on the phone all day and talking to someone overseas when they don't even have to. 

Notebook update. 

I got a phone call from HP yesterday.  He said he was assigned my case from headquarters and would like to solve the problem.  He told me they were going to fix my notebook and extend my warranty another year to make me happy.

I told him that would be great but I would have felt better if my questions would have been answered in the first place, rather than ignoring them and it was kind of sad I had to email the company president to get some satisfaction.  In this economy, the companies that will survive are the ones taking care of their customers. Not just price, but the whole package.

Then he went to put my updated information in the computer and the computer was down at HP headquarters.  I guess we are not the only ones having computer problems.  I will keep posted on the progress.

Gary