datoshway

SO I bought the clear transfer tape

very strange stuff, why is there so much static?  Every-time I use it, it literally pulls the vinyl off the table. 

Yep there's a lot of static with it, but its worth it. Once you go clear you will wonder why you used paper for so long  :rolleyes:

I don't know Rob... I still prefer paper app tape over clear. Clear is nice for multi layering, but that's about all I use it for. Paper app tape seems to have more benefits.

Me too unless there is multilayer its paper app tape for me! if I use it on single layer, I feel like Im wasting it.

Wayne

Me too unless there is multilayer its paper app tape for me! if I use it on single layer, I feel like Im wasting it.

Wayne

Yeah, i was actually about to post about the static issue last night. I don't like it but i only use it for certain jobs anyway

Guest fivestar

+1 for the paper tape.  Clear tape only for multi-layered graphics that I do dry.

+1 for the paper tape.  Clear tape only for multi-layered graphics that I do dry.

+2

Wow I am surprised I am the only one who likes clear that much. I like the durability of it as well, and the fact that it doesn't seem to stretch when doing long runs. I used paper for a few years and just enjoy working with the clear now I guess. Also, for all the small decals I am selling, I like knowing when the customer see's it, he can get a clear picture of what it looks like, not a paper covered shadow I guess. Also I found its easier to make sure your lettering is spot on straight with clear then paper as well IMHO. But you know what they say about opinions...

I mean I like the way it looks to the client, it seems to just apply easier, but god dam that static screwed up a few of my jobs, I have to literally tape the vinyl down to the table.

I mean I like the way it looks to the client, it seems to just apply easier, but god dam that static screwed up a few of my jobs, I have to literally tape the vinyl down to the table.

I know its not funny, but I had to laugh because that was my same reaction! As soon as the vinyl even thinks your close to it with the app tape it starts coming up off the table! I  have learned to tape down the corners to the table before even unrolling my tape!

Renee

I will have to try the taping the vinyl down to the table. :thumbsup: I also like the way it looks and how it is good for the layering. I don't like how you can't move it around when trying to apply the vinyl.

Christi

See i guess that's why I don't notice it, I always tape anything larger then 5" down to the table, really helps when doing multi color as well.

I tried the clear tape as well. I so like the idea of seeing the finished work better but it seems to be harder to work with for me anyway.

I tried the clear tape as well. I so like the idea of seeing the finished work better but it seems to be harder to work with for me anyway.

I found that you have to adjust your method with it, but now its like second nature to me. When I started back in the late 90's paper was all I used (probably all that was available) and I remember all the frustration with using it for multi color. But now I have used clear so much, that it's cake.

I found that you have to adjust your method with it, but now its like second nature to me. When I started back in the late 90's paper was all I used (probably all that was available) and I remember all the frustration with using it for multi color. But now I have used clear so much, that it's cake.

I will be so glad when I can have that much experience behind me! This also means I have to get even older! Damn! LOL

Renee

I have never tried clear tape. I was supose to get a sample from Main Tape.. the guy even called me and said he would ship some out. That was forever ago.

I would just pick some up. I have some in 15" width, 9" width and 5 1/4" width.

I just got my sample from Main Tape the other day, I didn't get a chance to try it out yet though. I need to find something cool to layer :thumbsup:

For anything that is more than 1 color or for anything bigger than say a 12" x 24" graphic, I only use clear app tape and it makes a huge difference I think. It is so much easier to work with both when applying layers of vinyl as well as applying graphics to your surface or substrate.

I mainly do race car lettering and most of the time those graphics are rather large and almost always at least 3 color if not 4 or 5 color and without the clear app tape, you are simply asking for trouble.

It does take a little getting used to, but once you do, it is by far the easier app tape to work with I think.

--Cory

I saw a post a while ago that suggested using a dryer sheet to stop the static cling. I've ever tried it - yet. Maybe it will help.