Sign in to follow this  
FabricatorX

I got 99 problems but vinyl ain't one.

So...Here's the diddy.

I have searched and read for hours, but not sure what my actual problem is.

PCut CT630 with parallel plug.

Parallel to Serial adapter.

Serial to USB cable.

Flexisign 8.*

I am also using a laptop with XP, all updates.

This means that I have no serial plug on my computer, so I went to radioshack and bought their serial-to-usb cable with driver, which is installed.

Basically, I don't know how to set this thing up. My plotter was used, therefore had no literature.

Where I am stuck at, is when I try to set up my plotter through production manager, it won't let me pick a COM port address, and the list only gives me options through the microsoft network.

Do I need to install some sort of proxy serial drivers and have the usb-to-serial operate through that?

My instructions for the usb-to-serial cable says this at the end:

"Change the COM PORT at the bottom left of the screen (referring to the advanced port settings in device manager) to the one assigned for this cable."

And as for the FTDI thing... I download the file from USCutter's website, but there is not installer for it. And as a matter of fact, where do I find out what FTDI is an acronym for? What IS IT exactly?

Aye yay yay.... :-

Confusing explanation.

Does the cutter come with:

1] Serial port & Parallel port or parallel port only?

2] If you have installed drivers from the Serial<> USB device the port should be visible in the hardware manager of windows,

Start, configuration,system, hardware,comports, there if the cable is connected you should see com3 or higher number. Set the windows comport to HARDWARE setting in the advance TAB. That is the port for the serial<>USB to choose in Flex manager. Also select HARDWARE in flexi manager.

FTDI is  device that runs your serial<> USB conversion.

Let us know if it works.

Paco

If you are using a Serial to USB adaptor, it will require drivers, just like a direct USB connection, so verify which COM port # has been assigned to the connection in the Ports category of your Device Manager. Once you know which COM port Windows assigned to the connection, you can select the correct port in the cutting software.

Drivers were installed, I can see the cable in my device manager, and I can select ports 1-infinity or whatever.

The issue is in production manager...

It wont let me select any ports! in the scroll down menu, it is blank!

Oh, and it is an old ct630, with a parallel only port. The cable I have is a parallel with a p-to-s adapter. I have the s-to-usb cable after that. I couldn't find a parallel to usb adapter locally, so i went with this setup.

If you can see the inifinity device as virtual com port my question is is this for the parallel to serial converter or for the serial to USB?

I do not know if going from paralllel to serial and from serial to USB will work.

Never heard of this option.

Do you have any working desktop PC with parallel port available just to try it by parallel port?

Can you make a screen shot of your windows port device manager?

It comes down to seperate the problem in parts.

Paco