Sign in to follow this  
MecH

Advantages of the Copam 2500 over the LP24?

I had ALMOST made up my mind on the lp24, but before I do, can I get some actual advantages to the Copam? I would probably actually never use the contour cut feature of the LP...just not much of a price difference from the Pcut so *why not*. So is the Copam really that much more precise, able to cut smaller text etc, or are you really just paying $200 bux for the longer warranty?

I own the LP24 and the copam.  Far as small text goes I am able to cut smaller text on my LP than the copam I have problems with the copam doing small stuff infact I send it to another computer hooked to the LP to cut small stuff and that is no lie!  I would not want you to be mislead on my 2cents worth but this is how it works for me.  They are both nice machines I use the copam the most for all things but the laser point you can safe on your vinyl the best and use more of it and it does smaller stuff but the copam is built better and much faster cutting no real big deal though. :)

Now thats quite interesting. From what i have been reading, anything smaller than 3/8 was giving the LP trouble (text i mean)..but the copam review said it cut 1/4 text with no problems at all..thats what got me wondering if it was just that much more precise. Maybe i`ll just stick with the LP lol. (Don`t get me wrong, I really have no interest in cutting 1/4 inch text anyway, because I don`t want to weed it lol).

I was just thinking if 200 bux would get me alot more precise cutter, it would be worth it.

precise I don't see a difference.  OOO yes the copam is a better machine and better to run but the LP will do what the copam will do and more.  I cut some small stuff with small stars in them and cannot seem to get the copam to cut the small stars well but the LP is where I have to send them to cut it does the job for me everytime and I have gone through every pressure set up I can it will begin to not keep the proper shap of the stars when the LP does.  And yes you can save and use more of your vinyl with the LP than the copam I throw more vinyl away using the copam than the LP not a lot but yes.  I have scrap I am saving to use on the LP because the way the copam is set up you are limited to sizes so you get more waste.  I am only being honest with you on my judgement of the two because I own both.  The copam is a nice machine and there is nothing wrong with the LP.  Yes the copam seems like it will out last the LP but how long will the LP last is unknown to me. but there is nothing wrong with the LP.  Let us know what you decide.

Only experience I have is with the Copam . I have made a flame logo with 1/8 "   letters ( R. Myers ) inside & had no problem at all . I didn't adjust pressure or " test " cut  , but did slow it all the way down . Being the Copam is above the hobby level category into the professional level & being only a couple hundred more ( along with the techs advising the Copams MANY times ) is why I bought the Copam .

edit ; measured the 1/8 " letters .. might be closer to 3/16 "  , but def. smaller than 1/4 "

I won't sell either of the 2 Copams I have , since both cut as good as the other .

You mentioned the size limitations on the copam....what is the smallest piece of vinyl you can use in it? Same question for the LP? ...In other words, If I had an 8" strip of scrap and I wanted to cut a few 6" decals out of it, would either of them do that? (just an example.)

Copam experience only ;  the 5 friction ( drive ) rollers are spaced uneven across the Copam ( in my opinion ) so different width vinyl can be used . 1 3/4 " vinyl could be cut with the 1rst & 2nd  drive rollers with 1"  in the cut area . the optical eye that the Copam has ... is between the 2nd & 3rd drive rollers . spacing between the drive rollers =  between # 1 & # 2 is 7/16 "  ,  1 5/8 " between #2 - #3 , 5 1/4 between # 3 - #4 , 6 1/2 between #4 - #5 . alot of combinations , but some scraps wont be able to be used full width .

8 " vinyl would fit at the edge of #1 drive roller & the  edge of # 3 drive roller , so you could cut 7 " stuff . The vinyl has to be about 1 " + longer than what you want cut length wise .

I keep some scrap , but at 60 some cents per lineal foot ( 24 " wide oracal 651 ) I would not worry too much about using all scraps . Heck , buy them both & give us your rating  :)

Ya im not just super concerned about scraps...Just gettn my stuff together first :) If the copam will cut 1/8 txt out of 651..i would call that impressive. Mind if I ask which blades you use , and where you get them?.

I only have used 45 degree blades although I bought some 60  degree blades ( supposed to cut everything better from reading here ) from US Cutter .

I edited the previous post .. the letters I cut could be close to 3/16 " but alot smaller than 1/4 " & that was with a used blade . The hardest part for me was seeing the small parts of the letters & putting the middle of the R & e back into position ( cole casual font ) .almost impossible to weed those parts without lifting them or at least repositioning them .

I have found overbuying some is better than underbuying some  & with Ken's post  , a easy decision spending the extra loot . You will have fun with either . :huh:

Sweet, 200 bux for a machine that will last alot longer and give alot less problems is well worth it. Would these be the 60 degree blades that would work best for the oracal 651 and 671? Those and oracals specialty vinyls will be the only type run through it once its dialed in probably. http://www.uscutter.com/3-Roland-Cemented-Carbide-Blades--60-Degrees-_p_42.html# .

Also, I read on the review page that the Copam 2500 now comes with the direct USB connection, so you dont have to use the serial adapter..does this have to be requested or is it standard now?

That is what they say about the 60 degree blades . I have never used them YET . I have cut heavy duty reflective ( toughest vinyl I have seen ) with the 45 degree . that vinyl dulls the blades ALOT faster . US Cutter sells blades on their e-bay auctions & they sell VERY cheap . They need more bidders on the blades  :huh: . I like to get a bargain , but don't like buying when the seller is not getting cost ( I think  US Cutter shold start the auctions around cost so not to take hits )

I read the same thing about the usb connection . My understanding is that is the way it comes standard , but you should ask when ordering to make sure .

These were made with Copams.

By Jenny (Benr98)

flowergu1.jpg

and Zal

zalqh4.jpg

w1600.png

Very impressive huh?

I cant cut that with my Refine. I would like to get a Copam myself. I have been considering it for a while.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I was just about to post that pic to show what the Copam can do!

I'm very happy with mine..........to be honest the only thing I'm wondering is if I should invest in the 3rd roller, to help on very long cuts!

No problem Jenny. Thats a great example of what a Copam can do  :huh:

thanks Joe!  Even though I only scored ONE vote!! lmao  :)

LOL Jenny. Im sorry about that.  :huh:

I didnt even vote. I set up the competition and I forgot to vote!!!! Can you believe that?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....lol.  No problem....votes or not, our Copam is priceless to me!  :huh:

Ya your right don't buy an LP they cannot cut! and not any pictures to support them either

Ya your right don't buy an LP they cannot cut! and not any pictures to support them either

What?  I'm still thinking of buying an LP for backup (cause everything I have, has a backup, well other then kids or hubby) Are you saying, NO to the LP now?

These were made with Copams.

By Jenny (Benr98)

flowergu1.jpg

and Zal

zalqh4.jpg

w1600.png

Very impressive huh?

I cant cut that with my Refine. I would like to get a Copam myself. I have been considering it for a while.

Joe

HOLY MOLY  Jenny , That is incredible !!! ... You must have the bestest Copam in the world to cut that small & intricate !!! Don't sell it  ,  plus you are just alot better at cutting  :huh:  :)

LMAO, thanks Rodger!!

I'm sure your Copam can do the same!!  Sometimes I find it's the vinyl brand I'm using and usually the speed of the cut.

NAAAAAAAAA  LOL , they sell the better Copams according to some preference list I guess ....... ( I'm sure of this as I seen it on the SciFi channel :huh: ) .