Sign in to follow this  
JoeCamaro

Im about to buy a Roland. Need Help. Optical Eye Yes or No?

Anybody know this Roland?

dsc009109ih4.jpg

w320.png

It is a Camm 1. I was looking for info, but this seems to be an old model and all I could find was info on the newer ones. I was wondering if anybody knows if this model has an optical eye?

Thank you.

Guest fivestar

I would guess "no" Joe, by looking at it.  But I can't be 100% sure on that.

Joe I don't think so, looks like the same unit I saw at Stahl's one day and that one did not. If you have some specifics on it you could probably find out from them? I'd tell you to call Roland but not sure you'd be able to get thru. Personally I had better luck with Stahl's getting info on em

Guest stunad, jr.

it looks like a pnc1000, pretty good plotter. no optics.  If you can get it for under $500 Id buy it.  Make sure you get the driver for it.  That one looks maybe 10 years old

No optical eye, but a heavy duty machine, well worth three bills. If ya get it, and it doesn't have a manual, I've got the manual in a PDF. And if it is a PNC 1000, it will only cut 18 inches, the 1100 is a 24 inch.  Mike

I think you should make a Roland decal & put it on your Co-pam , I think you will end up with more $$$ .  :)

lol, it would be cool to have a Roland, definately see how wide it cuts.. if it cuts 15" heat press then buy it!!

Wayne

The PNC 1000 is a 24 inch cutter, which means it would accept a 24 inch wide piece of vinyl, but it will only "cut", 18 inches, the 1100 was a 24 inch cutter, that will cut 24 inches. That's the only difference I could find between the two.

" Word to the Wise " ...I think in 5 years you would be happier if you buy a Co-pam now instead of the already old Roland . I'm not sure how much more shipping etc would be & that could change my opinion . For the $300 difference in buying a new Co-pam I would ! I bought the extra year warranty ( total 2 years ) on both of my Co-pams , I never have used the waranty at all & only have several months left . I would not buy the extra years warranty even though at $100 it is cheap peice of mind . Now knowing how GREAT USCutter is at helping & going well above the call of duty , I would have saved that $200 ... but it went to a good cause  :thumbsup:

Depending on what price you could get the old Roland for?, and seeings that it seems to be local, no shipping involved, I would go a couple hundred bucks on it. Those things run for years, I doubt if a Copam is gonna run 10-15 years, five days a week. With that said, it is an older machine, it may run 10-15 more years without any troubles, but if it breaks, you can't get parts for it other than blades, holders, cutting strips, much more and you'll be SOL. If it runs, and cuts, 200 bucks, grab it, drivers ain't no problem, don't know about compatability with the Vista though, I would think not. Another thing to consider, if you could get it cheap enough, there's a gazillion of theses old Camm1's out there, a lot of them just need a little part or two to run, that Roland doesn't make or sell anymore, you may be able to at least double your money parting it out.

Hey Knuckle  ;D ,

If the old roland broke the day after buying it , no warranty & no parts available ( according to your post ) That is why I would buy the Co-pam  , 1 year warranty & USCutter support , then after that you can buy parts ( there will be plenty of parts between all the Co-pam owners here  :thumbsup: ) . If the parts are available , I don't see what would stop the Co-pam . I agree with the parting the Roland out & if Joe buys it & it breaks , He might be able to part the rest out , but my experience with anything mechanical , what breaks on 1 is what breaks on most of them . I had a diesel Chevy Luv truck , broke the 5 speed tranny , could not buy that as all the trannys were broke . I could not get a dime for the rest of the truck because the rest lasted forever ( Isuzu diesel ) .

I have a buddy who bought the $3K deal from SW . He wished he had found USCutter like I did before he bought what he did . He was amazed at the Co-pam , especially @ $600 .

I'm not argueing any of your points Rodger, they are all correct. Joe wants a Copam, I agree he should hold out for it. That what he wants, and he's not gonna be happy with anything else (maybe a brand spanking new Roland, or Graphtec) I myself would have a hard time paying 3 bills for the old Roland, but if it runs OK, it's still worth a couple hundred. But still no optical sensor, then there's the software issue, another negative point. Oh well.

Hey Knuckle ,

:) , I tried to make it clear I was not argueing any of your points also . You Sir are correct  ;) . I would like to hear from everybodies opinions & experience if I was Joe , so that is why I added & gave my 2 cents  :D.

Joe, I've been running a CAMM-1 PNC1000 for over 15 years, it is defiantly not a PNC1000, and no it defiantly doesn't have any optical recognition.  I would not recommend buying it in anyway, the drivers would be almost impossible too locate.  Roland are a fantastic machine, but the older models are not supported.