Anyone here that help me?? LOL!

I purchased a serial i/o card for my computer because i have 10 or so usb ports and no serial port, its a fairly new computer, about 6 months old.

running vista 32 bit.

opened the computer, had NO empty pci slots ( have 3 empty spaces but none with the slots i need. So i noticed the modem was in a slot that exactly fitted my serial card. So i took it out and replaced it with the serial card. put it all back together and turn on the computer and wait for the add new hardware box to pop up..nothing. I rebooted 3 times and nothing....so what so i do now? is this slot only for a modem even though the card fit? Do i need to delete the modem stuff from the device list? how do i know what to delete if i need to delete anything?

I need help!

Renee

May not need to do anything. Vista may have recognized your card without you doing anything. Check device manager to see if it is working.

May not need to do anything. Vista may have recognized your card without you doing anything. Check device manager to see if it is working.

Hopefully this is the case but you may have to install Vista drivers for the card. Did the box and/or driver disc say it was Vista compatible? If so you may just need to install the drivers off the disc. If not you will need to go to the card manufacturers website and see if they have Vista drivers available for it.

well when i open device manager and take a peek in there, I'm not sure what i am looking for! what do I look for?

Here are the catagorys:

computer

Disk Drives

display adapters

dvd/cdrom drive

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers

Keyboards

Mice and other pointing devices

Monitors

Network adapters

non plug and play drivers

portable devices

processors

sound video and game controllers

storage controllers

storage volume shadow copies

storage volumes

system devices

and forgot to add universal serial bus controllers

I have opened each and every catagory and there is no exclaimation point by anything

so what will it say for the pci card and which catagory will it be under?

thanx!

Renee

you should see com ports or com1 somewhere but that's in XP...I have no idea with Vista.

post-249-12986531021453_thumb.jpg

post-249-12986531033109_thumb.jpg

no John, no comm ports listed. How did you get that jpg of your screen on here?

I did see under system devices there is a pci bus listed and when i click on it it gives me a window that says that the devise is working properly under the general tab and then when i click on resources it gives the io range and memory ranges etc, then in the conflicts box it says :Memory Range 7FF00000 - FEBFFFFF not available. I'm not sure if this is the problem or not?:thumbsup:

renee

I wish I could help further but I don't know a thing about Vista.

The screen cap is easy...just press 'shift' and 'print scrn' on the keyboard at the same time,then opne Paint and paste it there,and save.

Could be wrong but I dont think holding the shift button is necessary. Could be a keyboard thing depending on the button assignments.

Renee I think you need to install the driver for the card. Go the manufacturers website and look under the downloads section.

Well, after playing around with this dumb thing for 2 days, I decided to can it. I never never got a com port listing for the card so installing the drivers ( had a disk) would have done me no good as i didnt know where the heck to install it!

I have taken it out of the computer, put the stupid modem back in, decided to get the usb to work and had success! I never did have to install the drivers though, as soon as found new hardware window popped up it installed them already, vista was too quick for me! Just to be sure I went into device manager and low and behold the com ports were there so i clicked on it, wrote down the port # and did a search for updated drivers with the disk in, came back and said it had the latest drivers.

My computer never recognized the serial port and it was supposed to be plug and play, so I think it had to do with the modem already having been in that slot or something. Needless to say when i take it back im also going to take my pcu to the guy and let him see if he has the correct gadget i need to run this cutter.

right now its running fine on usb but i dont want to get caught short if i all of a sudden start having problems!

thanx for the help!

Renee