What printer do you use?

Yes but it has an optical sensor and a servo motor.  So there's a little more then a paint job added to it. :huh:

i thought that was the laser. what does the optical sensor do?

bb

Just stopped by a Best Buy on the way home from running some eraands... played with an Epson Artisan 800(i think that's what it was)... pretty fancy.  :huh:

Yes but it has an optical sensor and a servo motor.  So there's a little more then a paint job added to it. :huh:

i thought that was the laser. what does the optical sensor do?

bb

The optical sensor searches your document until it finds the reg marks. This way you don't have to line anything up manually.

i just figured out how to contour cut successfully with my lp. i see the digital readout has a blue background too.

bb

I just responded with the following in another post.

I've got an Epson 1400, and so far so good.

I am using the standard ink so far, I'm unsure if I will switch inks or not at this time.  I would like an ink with some sort of UV protectant in it.  I did also purchase a C.I.S. for the printer, but I am thinking about just using the refillable cartridges.

I have not printed a t-shirt transfer yet, only because I do not have a press, but that will be changing soon.

I have printed to some PhotoTex vinyl (adhesive film?  It's kind of like the Fathead media), and it looks good.  Time will tell on the ink holding up, though I am only testing inside right now.

I have printed various documents to photos, and can say that right out of the box it printed photos very well.

I went with the Epson 1400 because of the quality and price.  I am sure that there are much better printers in the world, but not at my budget.

I wanted an all-in-one printer with my selection, and so far I am happy.

I think I saw the epson1400 at Office Depot this week for 229.00. It said wide format and I think it would print 24 in , but I could be wrong. I'm not finding the right transfer paper for it though. I emailed for some samples, but haven't received anything.

the 1400 prints 13 inches wide, and 44 inches long. same as the 2200.

bb

Levi, Ken,

I would buy the laserpoint with the eye at a good price, I would try to get some if I were you, you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to contour cut with the regular LP. I would not be interested in a laserpoint just with an SD card, you should just say no thank you, you want the one with the eye provided it works right.

Wayne

I haven't heard anything about a new LaserPoint. The new PCut I have in is a prototype, or at least it was a month ago when I got it. I agree it would be nice if the LP had an optical eye.

I'm far from a "pro" but have ben scoping out printer/cutters for about 6 weeks now and while a lot of guys say the Roland 300 and 540 are tops I like the idea of using a Summa with the ribbon cartridges, because the ink lasts FIVE years without laminating and I'm gathering that the Summa requires very little job-to-job maintenance or cleaning of the heads?.

Let's face it - while Roland DOES have a good name "no maintenance" and "great life span of the inks" sounds awesome to me!

From what I have read in the other posts we have going on the subject the Epsons seem to be the most popular. What I am looking for is a specific model if at all possible.

Five, mostly we want to hear is who has had good/bad luck with printing on vinyl and what printers they were using. We really are not sure which direction we are going to go with this so I figured I would ask you guys about your experiences.

Oh a REGULAR "printer"!!!  Why didn't ya' say so?

EPSON.  And whatever you pick make sure that it uses just TWO cartridges. The ones with 3 or 4 cartridges are VERY expensive when you put new ones in them.  I buy 5 black AND 5 color cartridges for my Epson 820 for less than $30 off ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP's tech support sucks.

I have a epson c88+ bought new for 79.99 and i have had good experience with it and durabrite ink.I printed on papilio inkjet vinyl and laminated over it did great job..

i actually prefer the way the epson 2200 is set up with a separate cartridge for each color. that way when you run out of one color, you don't have to throw away all of the other unused ink.

bb

I haven't done any vinyl yet but that soon to change I use epson c88 for color and hp black and white lazer printer also have a lex mark all in one but I think it's time for me to up grade.....lol

Epson R1900.13"  Wide format 44" length print size.

The Rep I talked to told me the 1400 wouldn't do the 44" length.

On their site it says only 13 x 19 on the 1400, and 13 x 44 on the R1900.

Kevin

I'm far from a "pro" but have ben scoping out printer/cutters for about 6 weeks now and while a lot of guys say the Roland 300 and 540 are tops I like the idea of using a Summa with the ribbon cartridges, because the ink lasts FIVE years without laminating and I'm gathering that the Summa requires very little job-to-job maintenance or cleaning of the heads?.

Let's face it - while Roland DOES have a good name "no maintenance" and "great life span of the inks" sounds awesome to me!

I bought my roland printer/cutter and never looked back...