Sign in to follow this  
hitwtom

New from Maryland

Found a USCutter Laserpoint 24 in our local classifieds, did a google search and ended up here looking for information.  I manage a local bar named Hole in the Wall (user name Hole in the Wall +Tom)  I'm thinking I could use this for making vinyl signs vs. 8.5x11 from my printer for specials, team functions etc.  Also it looks like I could make heat transfers for t-shirts? My main question is how does one go about making the signs?  I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a 2 color with a graphic similiar to this one from the "show your work" section of the forum. http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12908.0;attach=19563;image  What I don't understand is the basic principal involved in this.  Does the plotter/cutter cut the top layer of vinyl to reveal an underlayer?  I'm pretty good with graphics on the computer, just don't understand the vinyl signage part. 

Thanks

Tom

Hey Tom,

First off: Welcome!

If you've been prowling here for a little while, then you are probably learning a lot already.  The LazerPoint is a newer model from USCutter and it has its own following here (you can "tune in to their own discussion under "Model Specific Discussions" from the "home" page of the general forum.  To date there have been 1234 Posts under the Lazer point discussion, and 135 Topics discussed.

Lots of us have 24" cutters.  It's a great size to do what you say you want to do, and you can make much bigger signs too... you just cut different sections as needed, and build them out, one at a time (or more).

As far as the vinyl cutting & application "how it works" part happens in actual use, you'll find a world of info in the discussion section on Instructional Contributions:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/board,36.0.html

You can find a number of very helpful videos there from members on various aspects of sign and sticker making, from intro-type, to more advanced techniques.  You can browse "youtube.com" as well, searching for "vinyl", and you'll find more to watch.

I know you're probably going to ask "What's a good price for this cutter?".  I'm sure there are a bunch of people here who know better than I do, so I'll leave that to them.

Just ask, and you'll most likely get a thoughtful (if not smart-allecky :)) answer, as this is a very fun crew here.. lots of good folks who are willing to help.

As S&G recommended: just "Stroll around the grounds, until you feel at home...", and have fun with it.

Regards,

- Kev

Welcome from Mo.  to answer your question 2 layer colors you'll cut two different vinyl colors and overlay one on the other does this help? i have the LP24 and i love it easy to use no problems so far.

Thanks for the replies.  I've searched the different sections but really haven't found anything yet.  They're asking about 1/2 the price of a new one, sounds ok to me, but if it will do what I want, I'd pay full price for a new one.

I would spend the extra $$ & get a new cutter with warranty ESPECIALLY for your 1rst cutter ( if you want a back-up, buy a used cutter if a deal ) . I bought my cutter to do my own stuff & eventually go into making decals/signs for others . You will pay for the cutter doing what you mentioned & be able to have it your way  :)

The vinyl is on a backing paper , the cutter set up properly cuts the vinyl only & you " weed " ( remove ) the parts not wanted . Then you apply transfer tape & lift the decal off the backing paper sticky side exposed . Then apply it to whatever you want ( substrate ) . several different application methods when dealing with bigger decals .

waving Hi from Crownsville ( 6 miles out of Annapolis )