Sign in to follow this  
hopkinsrj

Vinyl heat transfer, help!

Ok, I got this heat press to do t shirts.  What I didn't know was that this machine came over with Christopher Columbus himself and on it's highest setting only heats up to about 270 degrees.  Looking at most of the Vinyl heat transfer stuff that is out there I am finding that I need about 350 degrees to melt the PVC and set the film.  So, does anyone know of a vinyl heat transfer film that I can buy that will work with lower temps?  I am not talking about the stuff you print on and iron it on to a shirt, I am looking for real roll or sheet vinyl that I can cut using my cutter and then adhere to my t shirt.  Thanks for your time, Rick.

Guest fivestar

Either it's in celsius, thermostat went bad or the heat platen is bad.  No vinyl I know of will press at those temps.  Go get an infared thermometer and check the temp of your platen.

300 degrees F is printed on the machine and the gauge only goes to 300 and it also says F.  This machine is really old.  The old lady that had it before me did t shirts but she died and I got it from her son who knows less about it than I do.  He didn't have any of the material that she used so I don't have a clue as to what she used.  That is why I am turning to you guys.  I know all the good stuff takes a higher temp, I need something other than the walmart crap that you put on with an iron.  If no one can help me than I just have a paper weight. Rick

Only thing i can think of is press it for double the time maybe? Try 30 seconds and see if it burns the shirt, obviously try this on a tester price before going to town on a customers

Guest fivestar

Do you have a brand name and model number?  Maybe try googling it and see if you can get any help from there.

I tried to look it up but honestly, this thing is old.  Old like pre Goerge Burns old.  They made this thing before color film.  The heat is the heat, I just need to know if anyone knows of a heat transfer vinyl that works at lower temps.  Thank you for all of the posts, Rick.

Guest fivestar

Hey man sorry just trying to help.......good luck on your venture.

I'm sorry if I came off like an ass, that was really not my intention so if I did, I am sorry, I know you wouldn't take the time to post if you were not trying to help, thanks for you help, Rick.

like i said, use thermoflex and double the press time and see what happens with 30 seconds.  Be careful to watch the shirt doesn't get burnt

I have never heard of a heat xfer vinyl that works at a heat lower than 300.. best of luck. If you need a new heat press I can certainly help you with that one!