Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyMeMe

Healthy Thread,, Food, Recipes,Excercise

You can substitute ground turkey for ground beef pretty often. I use in my lasagna, hamburger helper (I know, not exactly healthy, but it is healthyer), meatloaf, etc.

I've seen it before on an infomercial and looks like a great idea, but I don't know anybody that has it or can tell us if it's worth it?

What is the realistic outlook on milk intake ? also evaporated milk ( I use Carnation evaporated milk in my pot of tea every morning ( since elementary school ) last time checked my cholesterol was 256 .

There are several flavor "foolers" my girlfriend and I use regularly.  One is I Can't believe it's Not Butter" in a spray bottle.  Zero calories, Zero fat, and negligible salt.  We just give our broccoli or other veggie a couple of sprays when we sit down to eat, and it's quite satisfying.  You'll find it in the same section as butter in the store. 

Another cool category, is salad dressing spritzers.  These are pretty new to the market, and follow suit with the first item:

Amounts listed are for 1 serving (10 pumps) for the Ranch vinaigrette I'm holding.

Non-sat. fat: 1g

0 mg. cholest.

70 mg sodium

1g carbs

1g sugar

These spritzers are great for seasoning chicken or pork (lean pork) prior to grilling, as well as for salads, and come in a variety of flavors.

For baked potatoes, and baking, I use a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of salted organic butter and canola oil.  It has great butter taste, lots of beneficial oils and is low sodium too.  It spreads like a whipped spread.  Just get the butter to room temp (on the soft side) and combine with the oil in a mixing bowl.  Beat with a hand mixer until smooth, then pour into covered containers to pop in the fridge to store.

I'm into body building, so I put as little (as Ms. MMM says) white food, or processed food into my body.  I make my own breads and pies using nothing bleached or refined.  Drink filtered water, and take a couple of 1000mg fish oil caps a day if you can, and a good fist full of mixed nuts each day (you know- cashews, pecans, macadamias, brazil, etc...).

One more thing... if you drink milk and or half and half in your morning coffee or tea, please use organic milk products!  The hormones and antibiotics fed to cattle here are mostly fat soluble, so if you drink whole milk, or half and half, which are highest in fat content, they will also carry a high level of these chemicals too, if the milk is not organic.

Whew!

- K

ColoradoKev what about chicken? I'm concerned about the antibiotics/steroids you hear about in that. Or do you eat organic? A bit pricey but I suppose it IS our health.

Yes , you're right.  They are our bodies (temples, earth-suits, whatever you wanna call them).  If we put junk in, it has to do damage control as well as build and repair itself, using substandard materials.  And, it can do that for a long time until the systems get jacked up and stuff starts going wrong.  It's an amazing machine.

Yes, organic chicken is he way to go, or turkey, 'cause the poor dears can't abide the chemical tampering as well as chickens can, so- far less chemicals and such.  We have a small organic grocery chain here in the Denver area called Sunshine Market, and occasionally I can find organic, skinless and boneless chicken breasts for about 1.20 a pound!  So I stock up and freeze.  You might want to look into organic farmers in your area.  Many will sell directly to the public.  The inter-webs are a wonder thing.  :)

I love the spritzer idea,, i am going to pick that up, hey in your broccali,, throw a handful of slivered almonds,,

nummmmmmm

Yep,,, you are so right, Nuts are so important,, poeple that cut all the fats out,, loose hair, get gray skin.. ect...

there are good fats and bad fats..

Nuts are good... unsalted the best,,

has anyone eaten dried peas,, they are so good....feels like you are eating something bad...

We eat the meat we harvest, or raise or fish.

I dont buy meat from the store. but I do have 2 freezers full of pheasent, chicken, walleye,goose, grouse, antelope, bear , whitetail, buffalo.

I cannot wait till spring for fresh lettuce out of the garden, to use as bread to wrap up cheese and chicken salad, and munch.

MMM

MME Don't tell my hubby where u live he'll be over to raid the freezer. He loves to hunt and eat all of which you have. From your description no doubt he'd like to be your neighbor.

Are Amish chickens considered organic? We have some in the area. The grocery is ridiculous.....like buying steak. I have a garden too in the summer, lots of work but ooo so good.

tory, I think the amish are free range chickens, someone , correct me if I am wrong,,

they are great chickens,, and make wonder soup stock..

We always tell family, our freezers are your freezers, and my pantry is yours, just bring back the jars..lol

MMM