Sign in to follow this  
mac6986

blade pressure

im having some issues with blade pressure, durring a single job, the knife cuts too deep in some spots and not deep enough in other places. what can that come from?

I had the blade out to much even though reading about it a zillion times & that is likely your situation . I now hand cut some vinyl with the blade holder in my hand ... after I get it cutting the vinyl only  ( with pressure ) & not scratching the backing , I back in just a bit more . You may have a dull blade ( look at the cutting strip & see if that has scars in it .  Start with a new blade & practice starting with just enough blade sticking out to feel & adjust more . my 2 cents  :huh:

yea i pulled te blade and holder out and it had some shards of vinyl in the hole. brand new blade tho. now you say i should just barley be able to feel the blade sticking out?

Yea just sticking out a little.  You should keep it as a "best practice" to clean the blade with a alco-wipe, the rollers and pretty much any part that touches the vinyl at all.  But yea, all brands of vinyl are different - so they'll have different thicknesses.  Just get some scrap offcuts and keep doing the test cut until it's gone through enough to easily weed but not enough to go through the backing paper.

I've had similar problems and solved them by slowing the cutting speed a little

just my .02

good luck