Sign in to follow this  
clashmet

Laserpoint Help

I am at my wits end.  We purchased a Laserpoint 24 and cannot get it to cut circles.  It closes some but not others, some are circles some are wannabe circles.  I have tried changing the offest in increments of .05 from 0 to 1.0 and nothing, still the same.  We are having this problem with some letters too, closes some but not others.  We are having this problem with everything we cut.  Just wondering if this is going to be the case or if it can be corrected.  I have a Cricut that cuts better than this thing.  Please help!!!

Also have tried adjusting the speed from 10 to 60 and nothing.

Hmmm weird, mine leaves the occasionaly really small letters open, give a call into tech support to see if everything else is setup right.

Wayne

I had similar issues, it turned out to be a loose drive belt that advances the media back and forth.  You can check this on your machine by removing the "red" end cap on the left hand side of your machine.  There is three black screws on the inside portion, one on each side and one on the top under the lid, and to screws next to where the power cord plugs in.  If the machine is mounted to stand, remove the two silver screws underneath on that end.  The cover will slide right off.  You will see the drive belt going across the two gears, one on the vinyl roller and one from the motor.  There should be little to no slack in this belt.  Not quite tight enough to play a tune on but certainly not able to move more than a quarter of an inch in any direction.  If the belt is a little loose you can further determine if this is your issue by holding the top gear with one hand and the bottom gear with the other and gently rotate the smaller gear on the motor and you will feel a clicking sensation.  As you do this gently back and forth, every single movement should be mirrored on the other gear.  If this does not happen and is sloppy and anyway you will never be able to cut a circle.  I hope this helps and good luck ;)

how big a gap is there when the circles aren't closing?

The gaps vary. I can create a circle and duplicate it several times and everyone cuts different. I am lost as to what to do. I have resorted to the small cutter for some things but it is a pain.

try increasing the pressure, lower the cutting speed, and use a 60-degree blade. You can also try using the serial port - there is better communication via that method.

try increasing the pressure, lower the cutting speed, and use a 60-degree blade. You can also try using the serial port - there is better communication via that method.

I have done all of the above. It happens with small cuts and big cuts. I have a 60 degree blade, have increased pressure til it cuts all the way through, and am now using a 60 blade. Is there anything else I can do?

next step is try a different software (i.e. Flexi or Sign Cut).

If you increased the pressure until it cuts all the way through then that's either way too much pressure and/or the blade is sticking too far out.

Could you post the .eps or SBE file of what you're trying to cut? I know you said it was circles, but is it a vectorized image, or was is drawn directly in either SBE or another vector art app? How big is the largest circle? how small is the smallest?

Keep in mind that you bought a LP, and not a GraphTec or the Copam. The LP is considered a budget cutter.

I have tried cuttling circles from 1" to 4" and they are all pretty inconsistent. I draw the circle in SBE, duplicate it, and it cuts each one different. It also does this with letters. And I do understand its a budget cutter. It wouldn't be that bad if there was at least some consistency. As it is right now I never know if what I am going to cut will come out or how many times I will have to cut it with satisfactory results. I was cutting 2" letters today and some of the were perfect while others were horribly cut, and they were the same letter. I am at a total loss. I have reverted to using a Cricut to cut many things so that I am not wasting so much vinyl.

I had similar issues, it turned out to be a loose drive belt that advances the media back and forth.  You can check this on your machine by removing the "red" end cap on the left hand side of your machine.  There is three black screws on the inside portion, one on each side and one on the top under the lid, and to screws next to where the power cord plugs in.  If the machine is mounted to stand, remove the two silver screws underneath on that end.  The cover will slide right off.  You will see the drive belt going across the two gears, one on the vinyl roller and one from the motor.  There should be little to no slack in this belt.  Not quite tight enough to play a tune on but certainly not able to move more than a quarter of an inch in any direction.  If the belt is a little loose you can further determine if this is your issue by holding the top gear with one hand and the bottom gear with the other and gently rotate the smaller gear on the motor and you will feel a clicking sensation.  As you do this gently back and forth, every single movement should be mirrored on the other gear.  If this does not happen and is sloppy and anyway you will never be able to cut a circle.  I hope this helps and good luck :D

i just opened my machine up, and wow! there was a lot of slack in there! i am about to cut some lettering for an eight by four foot sign. we will see how it goes.

bb