I made a sign for a race track a couple of months ago, the sign was 6 foot long, and now I have to cut some flames for a race car that is going to also be long.  When making the sign it would cut and about half way through the cutter would just stop.  Any suggestions as to why it does this. It doesn't happen everytime.  I did finally manage to complete the sign but wasted a lot of vinly.  Please Help!!!  Thanks

HI MISSY AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

first u need to tell us what cutter, operating system, and software u r using. :thumbsup:

The machine is grounded.  For example I just tried to draw on plain paper flames for a race car.  The size is 22 inches by 60 inches and the machine stopped mid way through.  I am worried about it doing the same thing when I try to cut it and waste a lot of vinyl. 

hi. My machine also would stop mid cut until I switched from usb connection to serial port. I read other people have had the same issue with usb. Not sure what you are using.

My machine is doing the same. Is it because I am using a laptop and USB? I do not have anything but USB ports on this laptop....

I have the same issues, the only difference being I am using a desktop.  I have found a work around for the problem. After cutting, I unplug the usb, turn off the cutter, wait a few minutes and turn back on & replug usb.  Yes it is a PIA but, no more wasted vinyl.

My cutter is grounded but, I know I still have static.  Wiping with dryer sheets doesnt seem to help that either.

If anyone has a solution for this better than what I have done, I would love to hear it,

especially the static.

Barbara

I too have wondered if it at all has to do with grounding. I mean, sometimes the machine can cut three or four times, and then its dead in the water. I shut it off and try again. I almost think my motherboard is also getting a bit hot, as the right cover is pretty warm when I touch it after cutting.

I think I will try shutting it off in between cuts. Worth a shot I guess.

Hmmm sorry, I guess I am just not understanding this.  Help me out a bit please.  :thumbsup: If you are still hooked up to usb even though one end is serial why is that any better than usb to usb.  I am on a desktop, not laptop but, the cutter stopping on the big jobs is going to get to me sooner or later.

my problem was with the usb connection on the cutter end, not the laptop. So by using the usb to serial adapter that solved my problem.

Just got my USB to serial cable, and of course, after installing the hardware, it still does not work and the cutter cannot find the port. Reguardless of what I do, this dang cutter never works properly for 5 minutes. I get it to the point where it works, and suddenly something happens and I need a new cable, new this, new that. About to sell my cutter, this is freaking rediculous.

And yes, I would call tech support, but the only time I can use the cutter is late at night.

I don't have flexi, so i can't help there. Have you checked the com port listed in device manager, and set it up the same in flexi?

There is no com port shown on my device manager that mentions the cutter. All that is shown is the cable. I have used every port listed on flexi and still have had no result from the cutter.

Somthing that I did seemed to work for me, and that was use a serial cable from the CPU/Tower (9 pin), to the MH-871 and it worked great.

One problem all these cutters seem to have is a COM port conflict with the printers. The software must match the com port on the computer, and not the other way around.

I had a similar issue yesterday when attempting to cut about 8' of graphics.  I'm currently running my MH-721 from my XP laptop via USB.  I used Ken's suggestion from earlier in this thread to remove the weed line and it allowed me to cut.  Ultimately I plan on hooking my cutter to a dedicated desktop computer via serial, but thought I'd share that removing the weed line option worked for me.