haumana

homemade jerky??

also a male will travel 90 miles looking for a date night,, (if you know what i mean).

MMM

Thats not limited to Mountain Lions  :thumbsup:

I don't have a problem with large predators AWAY from people . privately owned livestock/pets getting killed is bad enough , but kids are in danger from them . Around my farm ALOT of pets goats & sheep have been lost ( 1 man has lost 40 some sheep & goats  ) . no corpse usually means a mountain lion as coyotes eat at the kill site of a larger animal .

M&S,

You are right about that,,,

Also roger, a Large cat,, or even bobcat, will bury what they cant eat all at once, for later, and come back for it..

Take care,,

We just had a cougar(Mountain Lion) up here this past week, go to attack a buy, he was trying to help his dogs,, that we in trouble with a cougar, and it turned on the guy,, he had to put it down...

Be Careful,, there job is to eat,, and mate, and eat,, and mate,,

MMM

WOW M&M...you are in the backwoods aren't ya?? OMG....that is crazy!!!

We have coyotes....but they took the bounty off of them, and since they did, the population has gotten out of control.

Hey Banner Jen, I have just crowned you the queen of the Banners,,

therefore,, Banner Jen,,, and I will follow you around where we both like to hang out, to make sure everyone,, that loves ya like i do,, knows you are the Queen of Banners,, therefore, Banner Jen....

MMM

M&S,

You are right about that,,,

Also roger, a Large cat,, or even bobcat, will bury what they cant eat all at once, for later, and come back for it..

Take care,,

We just had a cougar(Mountain Lion) up here this past week, go to attack a buy, he was trying to help his dogs,, that we in trouble with a cougar, and it turned on the guy,, he had to put it down...

Be Careful,, there job is to eat,, and mate, and eat,, and mate,,

MMM

Thanks 4 the advice MMM , I don't intend to get close , but I'll have close range weapons just in case .I am trying to figure out I could attract them into where I have some hunting cabins . The cabins are very secure inside :thumbsup: shootng out of the windows . Windows have metal vandal mesh over them , JUST big enough holes to shoot thru . I respect the abilities of cats , Natures best fighting animals ( 5 weapons )

therefore,, Banner Jen,,, and I will follow you around where we both like to hang out, to make sure everyone,, that loves ya like i do,, knows you are the Queen of Banners,, therefore, Banner Jen....

MMM

Oh geez Sista.....has Rodger put you up to this? lmao......

also a male will travel 90 miles looking for a date night,, (if you know what i mean).

MMM

Thats not limited to Mountain Lions  :thumbsup:

I fully understand that Jon  :thumbsup:

Quote from: MonkeyMeMe on Today at 03:24:39 PM

MMM

Oh geez Sista.....has Rodger put you up to this? lmao......

Nope its the bad monkey in me playing,, , just about have my orders done, a few more rhinestones,, to set,, and press, and order out the door, yahooooo

get some rest,, sista..

MMM

lol.....I'll rest as soon as it gets dark out....have to get outside and feed the goat!!

Talk to ya soon.

Just wondering if anyone out there makes their own jerky ... beef, bambi, tweety, babe, rudolph, ....

And if you do, do you have a recipe or tips or tricks that you'd like to share? I don't have access fresh kill myself, but am willing to buy what I need from the market and go from there. I totally love jerky ... mostly teriyaki flavored stuff.

I'm pretty much wanting to justify a meat cutter/slicer and possibly a food dehydrator  :thumbsup:

i think i may like jerky just a tad more than you! haha i love jerky, mostly teri and peppered but any is fine with me!  :thumbsup:

So here are my results. The first batch which took forever in my little convection toaster oven came out the best. I will look for leaner meat or cut away as much of the gristle and fat before I start drying it out the next time.

The second batch was in a killer teriyaki marinade over night, but turn into a bad batch of burned jerky in less that 30 minutes. I started it in the kamado (Big Green Egg) and everything was going really great for the first 2-hours. The fire and heat were really low and there was even some macadamia wood chips in there for more flavoring. During the last check it went from something tasty and savory (because I needed to conduct taste tests during the process) to black, charred meat briquettes. I guess during the last rotation, somehow the fire and heat must have flame and just scorched it (sigh).

Does anyone know what the shelf life on homemade jerky is? I mean since, there are no preservatives and all. And yes, the jerky will last a while because everyone knows not to never touch my jerky, taro chips and molinari salame.  :thumbsup:  A girl has to have her comfort food you know?  :thumbsup:

I did a little searching and:

Properly dried jerky will keep at room temperature two weeks in a sealed container. For best results, to increase shelf life and maintain best flavor and quality, refrigerate or freeze jerky.

Oh and check out this link....more recipes!!

http://www.ehow.com/Search.aspx?Options=0&s=jerky

May I throw my recipe in too? If I'm doing beef, I get day or two old sirloin steaks, try to find em about a inch and a half thick, slice into quarter inch strips, marinate in plain ole soy sauce, and Dales steak seasoning overnight, run em in the dehydrator for 48 hours, swapping racks around every ten or so hours. But if you want the real authentic jerky, you can't beat the smokehouse.

Mahalo Jen & Knuckle. I will definitely take your advice and check out those recipes! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I guess cereal is out for breakfast - jerky here I come! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so I'm going to load up on protein  :thumbsup:  Hahahahaha.

We just have the butcher make it for us when we give them the deer.

We go for the pepperoni sticks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well I make jerky out of a lot of things,,  my best is Rabbit though,,,  Anyways I cut the meat into about 3/8"thick strips and then take a bowl with some Teriyaki sauce and Worcestershire sauce a bit of salt and pepper, then add a little water, enough to cover all the meat, let it sit in the bowl for about 24hrs in the fridge. Then I place the meat on racks and pepper 1/2 of the jerky then place them in the oven.  you will want to put a big pan on the bottom rack with some tin foil to catch the drippings.  Then turn the oven on the lowest setting and crack the door open just a little bit, It usually takes about 2hrs to cook/dry the meat out.  When your done I usually bag them in ziplock's and place in the fridge,  after I eat some of course.  I use the same maranade for about a week. just keep adding a little spice here and there...

that reminds me, I should go hunting soon...

Now rabbit, i can do,, too, yahoo, i have done goose, bear, whitetail, antelope, turkey jerky, duck, but never rabbit,, thanks,,

M&M

I will never be able to watch Animal Planet the same way EVER AGAIN :'(

Daazel

.... I started it in the kamado (Big Green Egg) ....

Oh, now you said the 3 secret words...

I love my Big Green Egg!!!

Atlanta is the Big Green Egg World Headquarters and I go there every year for EggToberFest (Been an EggHead since '98)

Their forum (http://www.eggheadforum.com) is friendly and supportive like this one and has lots of recipes.

Sorry to hear your jerky got toasted on that go round, but I'm sure you'll have better luck next time  ;D

.... I started it in the kamado (Big Green Egg) ....

Oh, now you said the 3 secret words...

I love my Big Green Egg!!!

Atlanta is the Big Green Egg World Headquarters and I go there every year for EggToberFest (Been an EggHead since '98)

Their forum (http://www.eggheadforum.com) is friendly and supportive like this one and has lots of recipes.

Sorry to hear your jerky got toasted on that go round, but I'm sure you'll have better luck next time  :)

Awesome. I didn't know there was a forum for it. I'll definitely be checking it out.  :)  Thanks!

i like my big silver box. :) here are some pics of my meat slicer, soem sliced meat and my smoker in action. the door is propped open at the beginning because i turn up the fire under the smoker box to get the wood smoking. cheers

bb

post-2091-12986532350163_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986532350615_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986532351037_thumb.jpg

post-2091-1298653235147_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986532359816_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986532360138_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986532360478_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986532360783_thumb.jpg

Awesome BB!  I was checking out the propane smoker at Sears the other day. How do you like yours? I'm not fond of trying to dehydrate stuff in the oven for hours. I would much rather burn propane than electricity. I can tell by your meat slicer that you must do some serious jerky :thumbsup:) Nice setup!