haumana

homemade jerky??

Just wondering if anyone out there makes their own jerky ... beef, bambi, tweety, babe, rudolph, ....

And if you do, do you have a recipe or tips or tricks that you'd like to share? I don't have access fresh kill myself, but am willing to buy what I need from the market and go from there. I totally love jerky ... mostly teriyaki flavored stuff.

I'm pretty much wanting to justify a meat cutter/slicer and possibly a food dehydrator  :rolleyes:

Haumana -

From a Vinyl cutter to a MEAT Cutter?:rolleyes: Did you use up all your creativity in vinyl so you are switching to meat sculpting? J/K LOL!  LMBO ;)  Do you have a smoker?  My husband smokes jerkey all the time and it is really delicious.  Teryaki is my favorite....I can get his recipe and get it to ya Seattle time Thursday ;)

Dazzel

That would be awesome!

The hobby is vinyl the passion is jerky. Hahahaha. Jerky is my favorite (not-so) junk food  ;)  I was told that I should find lower carb snacks, so I'm thinking that jerky is the way to go.

I thought that some of the hunters on this forum would have some ideas and recipes  :rolleyes:

Jerky is DEFINATELY on the HEALTHY list...full of protein with no fat (its all smoked out) :rolleyes:  Depending on the kind of meat you are smokin'...a 3oz bambi  :'( has 31 grams of Protein. YUMMIE!  Ya, I'm not a hunter....cummon guys where the goods?, this woman needs recipes for your savagly hobbies ;)

I will get you Dans recipe, you will love it!

Dazzel

Jerky is very healthy, but the salt doesn't help the blood pressure though. I have been making my own for several years. I use a pre- made seasoning from Eastman Outdoors, it has good flavor and a nice balance of salt/ sweetness. I use a dehydrator, grind my venison or beef if you prefer, mix everything together and within a few hours you will have the neighbors knocking on the door !

Hey H ,

What kind of hunting do you have over there . What kind of BIG wild animals ( I'm not talking about Don Ho though ;) ) I have never seen any Tv shows about hunting in the islands .

When we make jerky, we buy the seasoning packets like PRO does.

It doesn't last in this house long at all.........once that smell starts going through the house, the kids are checking that dehydrator every chance they get!  ;)

here is what i have done before.

i buy "mill ends" in a package at cash and carry, ( its a kinda resteraunt supply store open to the public here). lay the pieces of meat out on a cookie sheet and partially freeze them ( it makes it easier to get good slices). once partially frozen, run the meat through a slicer. got mine for $100 at a local kitchen store.

i don't use salt as an ingredient, but some of the steak seasonings i use may have some. i lay the slices out on a table covered with painters plastic (thin plastic sheeting from the local home center). then i sprinkle my favorite steak or meat seasoning mix on both sides. my absolute fav, is just course ground black pepper.

lay out the seasoned strips on smoker grates and smoke at 100 - 125 degrees for about 4 hours or until done to your liking. cooking times will very depending on temperature and slice thickness. you will generally have to rotate the racks around in the smoker for more even cooking.

let the meat cool on cookie sheets before storing in ziplock bags. keep refrigerated.

bb

Haumana -

From a Vinyl cutter to a MEAT Cutter?;) Did you use up all your creativity in vinyl so you are switching to meat sculpting? J/K LOL!  LMBO ;D  Do you have a smoker?  My husband smokes jerkey all the time and it is really delicious.  Teryaki is my favorite....I can get his recipe and get it to ya Seattle time Thursday :)

Dazzel

Soooo Carmen, you are going to bring me some of that soon right?  :) :)

Seriously though. I will buy some off you if you have any extra. I love that stuff and it sounds like your husband knows what he is doing!

Hey H ,

What kind of hunting do you have over there . What kind of BIG wild animals ( I'm not talking about Don Ho though ;) ) I have never seen any Tv shows about hunting in the islands .

Not a whole lot of stuff to shoot here. On O'ahu only thing is wild pigs. On the outer island there are deer and mouflon, pheasant once in a while. While I was growing up we used to go out into the sugar cane fields and (illegally) shot egrets that flying around by a nearby dump. I tried to get my dad to take me on the deer/mouflon hunts, but he said that he didn't think I had what it took to shoot Bambi. I told him I did, and that I even offered to field dress the dead animal. While that had some appeal to him, he then changed his mind and said that if I couldn't carry it out what I killed I wouldn't be allowed to come. Okay ... that was when I used weight just a little above 100 pounds. Needless to say I never went. I bet my dad regrets it now.

Mahalo everyone for all your advice. One of our local guns/ammo store sells the jerky seasoning, so that might be something worth looking in to. If it's ground meat, could I do a cheap test using hamburger? Ideally I would like to use strips of meat, but I don't want to blow a whole lot of money while I'm still learning the process.  :)

Levi after my kids and neighbors devour it I am not quite sure if there would be any left  ;)  HOWEVER, becasue you have been so kind to me the times I came to visit you I will do my best to put some aside next time we make it :)  Dan the Man is the cook around this house, he can make up a dish and have it taste like fine dinning food. I clean up  :-

Haumana, if you use a dehydrator make sure to add smoke falovoring to get that smoky taste.  Here is Dans reciepe for a smoker:

For a sweet taste Jerky (teryaki)

Dark brown sugar

Soy Sauce (just a teaspoon so as to be not so salty)

Minced Garlic

Pepper

Marinate it for a few hours and smoke like Cutme said to do it.  Also the type of woodchips you buy (several kinds) determine the taste.

Good Luck

Dazzel

HAMBURGER  ;):P:)  You are so cute  :)  I really don't think Hamburger will get tough enough to be like Jerky, or do you mean just to test the taste? And even so, the texture and taste of the meat also is a factor in the outcome.

Dazzel

P.S. It is works let me know and I will eat my words :-

Dazzle, I have used hamburger several times, the fat content does help hold some of the flavor, but I have found that it is better for sausage making, I always liked grinding a chuck roast up without the fat and use that mixed with elk or buffalo

See...what the heck do I know  ;)  As I said, I am not the cook, hamburger meat just sounded funny to me for jerky!

EATING MY WORDS....mmmmm...yummy :'(

Levi after my kids and neighbors devour it I am not quite sure if there would be any left  ;)  HOWEVER, becasue you have been so kind to me the times I came to visit you I will do my best to put some aside next time we make it :) 

Thanks!  :)

HAMBURGER  ;):) :)  You are so cute  :)  I really don't think Hamburger will get tough enough to be like Jerky, or do you mean just to test the taste? And even so, the texture and taste of the meat also is a factor in the outcome.

Dazzel

I have made it with ground beef. Came out kinda like a Slim Jim  :)

Jon

HAMBURGER  ;):);D  You are so cute  :)  I really don't think Hamburger will get tough enough to be like Jerky, or do you mean just to test the taste? And even so, the texture and taste of the meat also is a factor in the outcome.

Dazzel

Haumana

You are still cute!  :)  BTW..I ate my words ok!

Someone sell me some homemade jerky! I have been craving it all day because of this post.

well i may just have to stop by cash and carry tomorrow to pick up a package of meat. this thread has got me craving some jerky as well. haven't made any in a while. the bbqguru's recipes are complicated and drawn out. my recipe is simple and quick with excellent results. stay posted levi.

bb

So how do I get on the mailing list for everyone that will be making jerky?  ;)

I think my first hurdle will be to make it to the gun/ammo store to buy jerky seasoning. <- Now how funny does that sound, "I'm running out to the gun store to buy some cooking spices."  Hahahahahaha.

I think I'll take a bunch of meat to my brother's house and have him slice some up. Now I know that the meat will shrink during the process, how thick (or thin) should I cut this meat? I don't know if any of your are familiar with Japanese food, but they have different cuts of meat that are cooked various ways (sukiyaki (usually cooked on an open grill) or Shabu shabu (cooked in a boiling broth pot)), anyway, the meat is cut pretty thin and that could be my cheat way, but I would need to know if it's too thin.

Awe man. I think I'm going to need to run to the store and just buy the commercially made stuff until I can get this all figured out  ;D