Sign in to follow this  
ice22

Cutting jagged lines when cutting to the right

I've read a couple posts here on this topic but am having no luck with the recommended solutions!  I've only been cutting for a couple weeks and this problem seems to get worse with time!

When my cutter cuts from left to right it is skipping along the vinyl making a perforation instead of a cut, and seemingly vibrating along where it should be cutting.  I am not having troubles with right to left or any right to left diagonals, curves, etc.  The only trouble seems to be when the blade is moving left to right. 

I've tried changing blades, adjusting blade exposure, cut speed and press as well as a drop of lubrication to allow the blade to turn more freely. The only solution that seems to work is the "penny solution" with taping a couple pennies on with the blade for a little extra weight.  It even skips along if I adjust down to be cutting through the paper backing!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I've basically reached the point that I can't cut large projects because the skipping gets so bad on cuts over an inch or so!

My LP 24 was doing that the first time I used it. I found the blade wasn't turning in the blade holder. I rotated the blade in the holder several times by hand until it would spin freely.

Make sure the pressure on the cutter is set to at least 120 or higher, and adjust the blade depth accordingly.

no luck yet... i tried spinning the blade more and it didn't seem to make a difference.  I also tried a few more pressure settings ranging from 110 to the point of slicing through the paper backing (190) and various blade lengths from the max to the recommended 1/2 credit card to the blade so short it only scratched.  I'm still getting the same vibrating motion on the left to right movements.

Mine does the same thing Ice22 but it seems like its only with black oracal 651 vinyl.  All the other 651 colors I have work fine.  I hope someone can come up with a solution! 

Blade should barely be exposed, I mean you should have to squint to see the very tip sticking out of the blade holder.

Blade should barely be exposed, I mean you should have to squint to see the very tip sticking out of the blade holder.

If I retract the blade any more it doesn't cut at all or just scratches the vinyl. 

Thanks ken!  I ended up taking the blade down so far I could barely even feel it and took the cutting pressure up alot and it seems to be working great now!

Thanks for the help!

;):) :) :)

Thanks ken!  I ended up taking the blade down so far I could barely even feel it and took the cutting pressure up alot and it seems to be working great now!

Thanks for the help!

;):) :) :)

Yep, that's all it takes most of the time.  :)

Glad you got her dialed in.

Hey all

I feel your pain.  My cutter was doing the same thing and to solve the problem, I threw away the cheapo no-name blades and went with an authentic Roland blade and it solved the problem.  Hope this helped