Sign in to follow this  
sandman

What is contour cutting?

I searched and actually found a post where this exact question was asked, both the poster and another person thanked someone for answering, but the answer was missing from the post. Go figure? I found some other posts that had multiple questions including this and the "What is contour cutting?" question was never answered.

Somebody enlighten me.

a contour cut graphic is something that is printed on a printer on decal paper or whatever and is loaded into the cutter and the cutter cuts out around the graphic to make a sticker of what your printed.

Wayne

I'm learning about this too but know you need a certain kind of cutter to do contour cutting. It has to be able to read where to cut this decal outline. I forget what is needed within the cutter that does this.

Yeah, well basically it needs a point of origin for the cutter program to offset to, to begin a cut. a registration reader would be nice to have like the higher end models do, The Laserpoint is a contour cutter because it has a laser (same as a laserpointer laser) which really does nothing but have a set point attached to the cutter head that you line up with the reg mark to contour cut.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

Wayne

I know this thread is ancient but ... What is the difference between "a contour cutter" and an "ARMS cutter"?

25 minutes ago, fsbell said:

I know this thread is ancient but ... What is the difference between "a contour cutter" and an "ARMS cutter"?

An ARMS cutter is a contour cutter.    Arms cutter has  auto registration mark system.   Like Graphtec, Roland, Summa,  It reads the printed registrations marks with a laser automatically.  A cutter like the Sc model has a laser attached to it and  you have to jog the carriage head, laser around to each printed registration mark and manually record it in your cutting software.   They both contour cut,