Sign in to follow this  
haumana

Alternate LP settings

Hi there, Ho there, Hey there - So I know that everyone's cutter is unique, but there are many newbies (and oldbies) out there that often post questions about something that is amiss with their equipment. So recently I changed to a 60-degree blade and was having difficulties getting it dialed in just right so I felt comfortable with the stuff I was producing.

I went the route of Ken (Imes) and decided to try his recommended settings. My results were less than impressive. I found that having 120 pressure caused more "perforation" occurrence in my vinyl than when I had the pressure set to less than 100. If I had the blade sticking out just enough to cut through the vinyl, it also had too much pressure and would cause the vinyl to tent, and subsequently the carriage ended up eating up some vinyl sliding back and forth (sigh). I've tried various speeds, even tried swapping back to a 45-degree blade. At times because the vinyl was tenting it would cause other sections to be merely scratched and not cut. Tried various speeds ... basically went through a lot of vinyl.

I also noticed that there was some giving the vertical of the blade holder, I suspect it was due to the rubber grommet.

So here are my optimal settings. Use them, critique them, toss them out the window - all I know that it's the optimal settings for me.

Pressure: 80 - 90

Speed: 60 (or slower if really tiny and/or intricate)

i think you will find that different vinyls will require different pressures. i cut most everything at or below 40 for the cut speed. the tshirt vinyl i get from joto paper barely even scratches until i hit 125 on the pressure, but i have to crank it up even more for their glitter vinyl. some of the decal vinyl i use cuts great at 80 to 90 on the pressure, while others require more. have you tried a thirty degree blade?

bb

I mostly use Oracal 651, but totally hear you about the different vinyls needing different settings. I haven't tried anything beyond basic vinyl, but look forward to the day that I actually have a need to cut stuff other than the standard colors  :)

Never tried a 30-blade. I'll have to scour eBay to find some for myself. I've also never stepped the speed down that slow before - the slowest I've ever set it to was 40 and it didn't look like it made a difference in the stuff I was cutting ... but then again, the stuff I was cutting could have been difficult by design and not just because of my vinyl or settings.

I will definitely give those other settings a try when I start running into stuff that just isn't working out by my "standard" settings. Thanks for the advice!  :)