Sign in to follow this  
sandman

My first decals

Nowhere near the detail of what most of you have posted. I did these for a local car club/forum to get some experience. I also did a video to show them what was involved in making and installing them.

IMG_1286.jpg

Video Here

Good job  :thumbsup:. The "finer detail" will come soon enough, trust me  :P

Have fun,

Jon

Good job! Great video to show the basics too. Why don't you re-post just teh video into the instructional contributions section?

Guest fivestar

Couple things I did notice in the video, one always use a light color on a car window as they all have factory tint in them, another is always peel the backing from the decal, not the decal from the backing and third thing is I see window cleaner on the car, make sure there's no ammonia in it as the ammonia can eat the glue from the vinyl.

those numbers on the car look great sandman. :thumbsup:

bb

Good job on the video about fiffteen of those decals you will be flying through the weeding....

Sandman cudos to you...not only did you share your decals with us, but for a "novice" to make a video to show us how you did it is SPECTACULAR. Maybe not helpful to those already so "advanced as you say" but to the Noobs with absolutely no experience at all...well done, I am sure lot's of people will appreciate your video :)

Dazzel

P.S. LOVE THAT CAR!

Wow great video thanks!

One thing I noticed you did with your cutter that I havent' seen anyone else mention, is putting a piece of masking tape over the little "gutter" on the front of the cutter.  I haven't had any issue with the vinyl getting caught there on small cuts, but I did 2 big 24"x36" cuts and both times the blade cut diagonally across the vinyl when the vinyl got hung up in that troughgutter.

I ended up putting tape over the front of my cutter to.

Does the black vinyl you have match the paint color?  Maybe you could try putting black vinyl over the whole window with the decal cut out of the solid piece?  That might give you the frosted look your looking for?

azdecals

i can hear that the pcuts sound the same.  Mine is about 4 years old and sounds like the new ones!   :);D ;D

P.S.  I always use cheap vinyl for donations!

Wow great video thanks!

One thing I noticed you did with your cutter that I haven't seen anyone else mention, is putting a piece of masking tape over the little "gutter" on the front of the cutter.  I haven't had any issue with the vinyl getting caught there on small cuts, but I did 2 big 24"x36" cuts and both times the blade cut diagonally across the vinyl when the vinyl got hung up in that troughgutter.

I ended up putting tape over the front of my cutter to.

Does the black vinyl you have match the paint color?  Maybe you could try putting black vinyl over the whole window with the decal cut out of the solid piece?   That might give you the frosted look your looking for?

azdecals

Thanks.

You just reminded me I need to re tape that gutter front and rear. I was using a scrap piece the other night that was hitting it going and coming. I didn't have the back taped yet and the front was still hanging on one edge. I just did front and rear with black electrical tape and it looks much better. The tape kind of conforms to the gutter some so I'll have to try it to see if it still hangs any.

I ended up doing a one off set of Gold decals for my car. Had a roll of cast metallic gold I used to hand cut some stripes before I ever got my cutter. One of the scrapes was just big enough to do a couple of decals.

The frost stuff I was referring to in the video was on that sample pack US Cutter was selling. The frost is useless and won't weed for anything. It doesn't stick to the backing well enough.