wasatchcars

Reg marks & clear tape

I am new to all this so I am still learning.

I have been doing some 2+ color decals and find it VARY HARD to line up the registration marks with regular transfer tape.

I did not want to buy a roll of clear just for doing 2+ colors.

What I tried and works great is clear 2" packaging tape.

What you do is put your regular transfer tape on the decal you plan to keep but not on the registration marks.

use your clear packaging tape overlapping the transfer tape and on the registration marks.

Now you have your transfer tape on your decal and clear tape you can line up your registration marks with ease.

You will be cutting off the area with clear tape then your done leaving your decal lined up perfect and on your regular transfer tape.

I am new to all this so I am still learning.

I have been doing some 2+ color decals and find it VARY HARD to line up the registration marks with regular transfer tape.

I did not want to buy a roll of clear just for doing 2+ colors.

What I tried and works great is clear 2" packaging tape.

What you do is put your regular transfer tape on the decal you plan to keep but not on the registration marks.

use your clear packaging tape overlapping the transfer tape and on the registration marks.

Now you have your transfer tape on your decal and clear tape you can line up your registration marks with ease.

You will be cutting off the area with clear tape then your done leaving your decal lined up perfect and on your regular transfer tape.

now that's using your noodle! :huh:

bb

Guest round2racing

THIS IS ONE THE BEST TIPS WITH REGARDS TO REGISTRATION MARKS THAT I HAVE READ

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

I have had the same problem with being able to line up the registration marks using the paper tape and would just get frustrated and aggravated.

This is a wonderful tip and I can't wait to try it!!!!

A pic or drawing for the retarded ones please - there's a friend of mine here who wants to know  :thumbsup:

A pic or drawing for the retarded ones please - there's a friend of mine here who wants to know  :thumbsup:

heeheeheee....I'm one of the retarded ones...lol.

Renee

Excellent idea, thanks for sharing!  I was about to purchase a roll of clear, but you just saved me some money.  Thank you!

Guest kenya

Thanks wasatchcars.......... I can't wait to see it.

Thanks wasatchcars.......... I can't wait to see it.

Me too. Thanks for the tip.  :thumbsup:

Wasatchcars, I got a chance to use your idea last night on a couple of decals and it worked great.  Thanks again!

I know this is an old topic, but great idea for me being new to this:)  TFS!  Would still love to see that video :thumbsup:  I'll do a search, maybe you posted it seperately??

Thanks again!

• Like 1

There is another very easy way to line up reg marks when using paper app tape.  Tape up the top layer, you will see the reg marks through the paper app tape, carefully cut through the app tape cutting out your reg marks with a scapel.  Then you will be left with two holes too see where the reg marks are in the bottom layer line up, tape in place and apply couldn't be easier.

I will make a video of how to do this in the next couple days and post it here

I know this almost a year old, but did you ever get the chance to make a video? I'd really enjoy seeing your registration technique.

Thanks!

I just used rectangle reg. marks and after i app. tape them, i cut the tape off right around the reg. marks. You just like up the 2 edges of the rectangles. I hope that made some sense.

I cant wait to try this. Myself i hateusing the clear transfer paper. Itisjust hard to work with and hard to apply evenly.

I have been using triangle reg marks and cutting them carefully and aligning with the paper app tape, but itsa slower process and sounds like using packaging tape is going to bea faster easier route. Thanks