PACS Man

BGS vinyl

I bought some of the BGS vinyl from USCutter and it cuts and weeds good but I cant get it to seperate from the backing using 3 different application tapes.  The Arlon and Oracal have no problems sticking to the app tape.  Any ideas?  I spent over an hour using an exato prying the vinyl from the backing and pushing it to the app tape...snow flakes of all things.  Ran the same jobe on Oracal and no problems.  PM

Sounds like you blade is maybe cutting too deep. Try adjusting the depth.

Thanks Jay, Would not of thought blade depth to cause this so it was worth a shot, still just does not want to stick to the app tape, even used a heat gun on the backing to see if it would help release. Where I am it is 11 deg 15% humidity and snowing.  Read that low humidity could cause the app tape to be less sticky.  The price is right for the BGS vinyl but may have to wait till spring to use it :) 

Maybe you've got some bad app tape or there is something on the vinyl making it not stick. I have cut into the backing ever so slightly and that makes it so the vinyl doesn't want to come off. I'm in Nine Mile Falls near Spokane. I can't be too far north of you. We have the same weather going on right now.

You might have some low tack  app tape.

I bought  low tack one time by mistake and had the same problem.

Get a roll of hi tac and see if that helps.

Dave

Guest fivestar

Also be sure the vinyl doesn't have residue on it.

Fivestar, what can I clean the vinyl with to be sure there is no residue?  Is that common on the BGS vinyl?

Jay, I am in the Tri-Cities, not getting the snow as bad as you all are getting/have. 8" total here. Do you know the Correll's out there at Nine mile?  They fly a sea plane in and out there on the spokane river just down from where the little spokane dumps in.  Thanks for the help.  still not able to get the BGS to come off the backing.  Will just use my Arlon and Oracal for now.  Thanks everyone for the input/help!  Mark  - Pacs-Man

Guest fivestar

I'd first just wipe a dry towel and see what happens.....if that don't work then maybe use a alcohol wipe and try.  I'm just throwing things out there to try.

Jay, I am in the Tri-Cities, not getting the snow as bad as you all are getting/have. 8" total here. Do you know the Correll's out there at Nine mile?  They fly a sea plane in and out there on the spokane river just down from where the little spokane dumps in.  Thanks for the help.  still not able to get the BGS to come off the backing.  Will just use my Arlon and Oracal for now.  Thanks everyone for the input/help!  Mark  - Pacs-Man

I do know them. Good friends with Sue and Kelly. Gary, flies the seaplane, he is Kelly's dad.

Guest fivestar

Mark it's not cutting into the backing paper is it?  If so, then use less pressure.

Small WORLD!  Gary and Karen are my Uncle and Aunte.  Tell them Mark said Hi!  TO freekin funny!

Fivestar, Been playing with pressure as I did notice that the BGS cuts a bit deep.  backed it off a bit and am running a test now.  The BGS is wrapped on such a small tube that it curls real bad when the temp is >65.  Have to take it where its warm and let it "streach" out a bit.  Will post a bit later when i weed and tape it up.   Thanks again everyone for making this forum the best! 

Small WORLD!  Gary and Karen are my Uncle and Aunte.  Tell them Mark said Hi!  TO frickin funny!

It's a small world. Nine Mile is a small community. Both of our kids are the same ages as both of Sue and Kelly's. Both of our families volunteer at the schools.

Your not the only one having this problem I bought some of this stuff too and hate it. The only thing I can find that will make it seperate is clear tape but who wants to use clear tape for everything.

Your not the only one having this problem I bought some of this stuff too and hate it. The only thing I can find that will make it seperate is clear tape but who wants to use clear tape for everything.

I think it may be how tightly it is rolled on such a small tube. I played with the pressure and blade depth and still cant get it to come off the backing with out a lot of dinking with it.  Even wiped the vinyl down with a degreaser with no success.  Even my super tacky clear app tape is a pain.  I just put the roll in my "scrap" pile and used my other name brand vinyl that works like a dream. 

For those out there with a Pcut 630, I love mine, but it did take me some concentrated tinkering and many posts and lookups here on the forum to get me to do so.  My daughter has a Roland 24 and it too required some patient setup to get it to work well and both are a pain when we have to replace blades.  I think it is just the nature of the hardware and the many different types of vinyl available that makes tinkering a necessary part of getting things to work right.  It is just real frustrating when you get some new cheap material and it cuts and weeds well but you cant get it off the backing and to the customer.  Go figure!.  Was hoping maybe Ken or one of the folks from USCutter would pipe in with some ideas since they sell the stuff. 

Thank you all for your posting help here.  It is one of the best resources for newbees and pros alike.  You all ROCK!  Pacs Man (Just a roll or 2 of vinyl above a newbee)

I would have to agree also. Everything takes time and effort. I have heard it said that a poor workman always blames his tools.

Update:  I unrolled the BGS off the 1.3/4 tube onto an 8" tube and brought it into the house where it stayed warm (70) for a few days.  I just got some of that static clingy clear and wanted to play.  The temp is up in the low 50's (64 in my shop) humidity is 68% and I can now get the BGS to come off on my regularly used app tape.  I have heard of fair weather snow bunnies but vinyl?  This clingy stuff is way cool.  just have to remember to reverse the image and the assembly of multi color so the adhisive side can go to the right side of the cligy...did I say that I love my Pcut!!  Thanks again everyone for all the tips, hand holding and being here for us!

Does anyone know of a vinyl annonamous... Oh thats right...it's right here!!! ;D PM

Happy to hear it's working for you Mark.

By the way, this is not Vinyl Anonymous, it's the bar where all the Vinyl Drunks hang out. I don't think anyone here is trying to kick the habbit.

I stand or wobble corrected! So who's Norm here?  pm

BannerJohn should have that title since "everybody knows his name".

Hey Jay, is everyone having trouble uploading attachments?  I have tried since the 27th and have only gotten partial files to load.  Just curious.  pm

hey...I don't even like beer! But I guess just about everyone does know my name.

hey...I don't even like beer! But I guess just about everyone does know my name.

So every time John goes OnLine we all need to post "JOHN" like when Norm walked into Cheers.