tory

Oracal 631

I was wondering if anyone is having issues with Oracal 631 bubbling or coming off the walls? I was wanting to start offering wall words and some people around here have been having home parties doing just that. Well I don't know what kind of vinyl they are using but the client said it is bubbling and peeling back off the wall......after a month. She said the wall was clean and applied according to the directions so that led me to believe perhaps it was a low grade vinyl?? For those that have used the 631 are you having any of these issues? I know about getting the correct the tape and those issues. Thanks

Guest fivestar

I would say they are using cheap vinyl......I have some 631 on a door that's been on there for 4-6 months and it looks as good, if not better then when I put it on there.  You need to get ahold of one of their decals and look on the back and see if it says what manufacturer and model of the vinyl.

I have some Oracal 631 vinyl on the walls in my home office for about 2 months now, with no issues of bubbling or peeling.

Thanks Guys, I was hoping that would be the case. I didn't want to start getting into something that was going to create problems. I'm trying to get my hands on the catalog that offers this service. At the very least a website. I'll let you know when I do.

Fivestar, I suppose I could order something from them but I'll take the experience from the forum on it for now. My daughter is supposed to be getting more info from her friend that bought it. Maybe that will shed some light on it.

Where do you two purchase it from?

Well thanks Five, I didn't know they carried 631. That was my next question for Kenimes.

Do tell, what is this plan you speak of.....let's suffice it to say my husband is an autoworker, I need all the info I can get. Maybe we should all just head down to BannerJohn's house?  :huh: Lady on the news today was saying she is moving back down to TN because cost of living was better. This economy is getting scary.

Guest fivestar

Just a little marketing plan I am going to try this upcoming yr in our flower shop my wife and I own.

Ah yes, I forgot you had the flower shop. That will be a perfect avenue to showcase the quotes. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks Guys, I was hoping that would be the case. I didn't want to start getting into something that was going to create problems. I'm trying to get my hands on the catalog that offers this service. At the very least a website. I'll let you know when I do.

Fivestar, I suppose I could order something from them but I'll take the experience from the forum on it for now. My daughter is supposed to be getting more info from her friend that bought it. Maybe that will shed some light on it.

Where do you two purchase it from?

Check out this website:

http://www.wallwords.com/

You can request a catalog.

Perfect Jay, will do. Hmmm, maybe that is where the lady ordered hers from if they do home parties?? I'll check it out. As long as it sticks to the wall this may be a good avenue to pursue. Thanks

Thanks Fivestar, never heard of that one, I'll check it out. Maybe we can figure out what vinyl they used and steer clear of it :huh:. I sent for the catalog Jay referred to, hopefully will give me some ideas to go by.

I take that back, I did see their site a while back after taking a look. I'll have my daughter ask if this was the company. Although they don't mention what material they use, from what you guys say, I should be safe with the 631. My sister, knowing how much I love to get up and talk in front of a crowd  :huh:, decided I should use her living room to see if I could get any business that way. Personally Fivestar, I like your approach.....let em come to me.

Tory here is a link of probably who you're talking about as this company sells about the same way as tupperware through home parties.  http://www.uppercaseliving.com/

One of my neighbors had an UppercaseLiving party. I had to drop my wife off to see what they had. They were using Oracal 651 and 631 vinyl. Prices were way up there. I got some good ideas though.

uh oh, my daughter got a hold of the lady and it was an uppercaseliving home party. So what does this tell us? Could it be that the 651 doesn't stick to the walls as well as the 631? Jay how did you know that was what it was? I assume because your wife bought it and you could tell from the backing? Yeah, the prices were way up there BUT they also sold a lot and booked more parties off that one too. This particular lady had a quote in almost every room of her 7000sf house. I know that the house is new, wonder if that would have anything to do with adhering correctly? I told her I would cut some new ones for her if I could locate the font. She is supposed to send some pics. Figured I wanted to practice and this would be a good way to see how it hangs. At this point she has nothing to lose.

She gave some samples with the backing still on them. One thing I found is that vinyl doesn't stick well to semigloss paint. I would think it would be worse on flat paint but it actually sticks better to flat.

Maybe I should just use my own house as a test. But I have satin thruout the house.....which I think most around here use. Builders use flat but most homes don't because of washability. I'd hate to recut them for her and then have the same issues. :-

We had some 631 up in the shop for almost 18 months. When we took it down, it was as smooth and bubble free as the day it went up. 

The only problem I've had with 631 was on a door that had been freshly painted in a washable paint.  Didn't like sticking to that at all. 

I made a large car for my sons room from 651 and it has been up for 2 months now without a problem. I didn't even clean the wall prior to installation. I also have 631 that I hung in a garage and kitchen more than 5 months ago. Still going strong.

Thanks Frogg

I haven't tried it yet but plan to after the holidays. I would be afraid the 651 would peel the paint but plan on using the 631. Maybe the other lady had a issue w her paint being too glossy, esp since it was a new house w fresh paint.

Tory

Never had a problem w/ 631...Maybe she has some dusty walls? Or maybe she cleaned them with some kind of cleaner the reacts with the adhesive?