Sign in to follow this  
Benr98

What's a good MP3 player for a child?

I know all about the Ipods,....but is there another good one out there that anyone would recommend?

My son is 13.

Thanks

Guest fivestar

If he doesn't want to be "cool" then basically any name brand will be fine.  I've got one daughter who loves her Ipod and another daughter who loves Microsoft Zune alot more then an Ipod.

I myself really like the Zune, but never really messed with an Ipod much.

Jenn, I would recommend a Sansa brand MP# player. They have many models, they even have them with video, fm tuning and voice recorder. I want one of those. The thing is that they have a drag and drop interface, just grab your music from the pc, drag it to the sansa folder and you are done. With ipods and zunes you need to have softwares and sometimes for kids it aint that easy.

I will never buy an iPod. They are expensive just cz they are cool, but there are many other great mp3 players with the same space for much less and have many included features, unlike iPod were you have to buy everything separately. You have to buy a thingy to attacht to it to be able to listen to fm, plus because of the freking apple printed in their items, accessories can be really expensive, like a usb cable for like $50, wth? I think they are thieves.

joe

I'm with Joe. Look at the Sansa Fuze. $79 for a 4BG. It has FM tuner and a slot for a micro SD card to add more memory.

Thanks so much Joe & Jay (for backing him up)  :huh:

I will definitely check into that.

Jenny

Guest fivestar

I bought a 30 GIG Zune last yr for 79.95 and it requires no special software unlike the Ipod.

I'm with Joe. Look at the Sansa Fuze. $79 for a 4BG. It has FM tuner and a slot for a micro SD card to add more memory.

Hey Jay, is that 4 Biggiegigs?? lol...........JK

I bought a 30 GIG Zune last yr for 79.95 and it requires no special software unlike the Ipod.

WOW!!! that's a good deal!  Let's just hope we can find it on the 20th of this month!

I have a Sansa 8 gig & am happy with it . I also was happy with the 1 gig MP3 player I bought several years ago . Was $99 then , now Best Buys had them for $19.99 . I would buy the 1 gig for a 13 year old . That way if misplaced ot damaged , not as big a deal .  :huh:

Jenn, I would recommend a Sansa brand MP# player. They have many models, they even have them with video, fm tuning and voice recorder. I want one of those. The thing is that they have a drag and drop interface, just grab your music from the pc, drag it to the sansa folder and you are done. With ipods and zunes you need to have softwares and sometimes for kids it aint that easy.

I will never buy an iPod. They are expensive just cz they are cool, but there are many other great mp3 players with the same space for much less and have many included features, unlike iPod were you have to buy everything separately. You have to buy a thingy to attacht to it to be able to listen to fm, plus because of the freking apple printed in their items, accessories can be really expensive, like a usb cable for like $50, wth? I think they are thieves.

joe

:huh:;D:huh::);D

Well I didn't want to pay top dollar this go around.........one because he is just 13 and the other cause I'm watching my  $$ this Christmas.

Thanks to you all for your input...it's really helped me!

Jenny

We were having this same conversation at work right before you posted this. One of my co-workers was looking for one for his wife. He's getting ths Sansa. What did you end up going with?

Jay, I'm going shopping for it next week and I'll let you know what I end up buying.  This thread has really helped me.

I definitely am not going for the Ipod..that I know...I will check out the Sansa while out shopping as well as other options...I realize choices may be slim, by waitting so long..but I'm hopeful!  :huh:

Thanks again.

Jenny

I personally have a Zune and love it. The OS is really user friendly, they seem to be very tough, plenty of space, and a really nice screen and control panel. The only problem I had with it seems like they try to pigeon hole you into using their software, but there is an easy registry change that makes it so your Zune shows up as a portable storage device connected to your computer. This allows you drag and drop files onto your Zune.

Guest sciondrgn

I think ive had about all of them out there lol..

Zune is my favorite.. Owned a 30gb and an 80gb..

sansa is a good cheaper alternative

My iphone is currently my mp3 player and it does ok but I liked the player in zune better

Jen,

there are all kinds of 1 or 2 gig mp3 players on the market, they all work fine, their biggest problem is the cheap ass ear phones they include with them, I have bought 4 or 5 pairs for my kids players over the last several months, the jacks are usually poorly built, I got a 2 gig sans jacked into my car stereo so I ain't gotta have cd's all over, lol. it is really up to you and the age of the kids.

What is the best buy in ear phones ? listening to loud rock music ?

honestly, i have a pair of bigger Koss earphones for both of my kids, which work very well and so far my kids haven't broken them, although they do want to use my Bose set all the time, lol, I have to hide them. I prefer my loud rock music on the big stereo so it pisses off the neighbors when they start playing Rap, lol

Hi PRO ,

Are the Bose worth the cost ? & how much do they cost ? I hate to loose expensive stuff & I've lost the Sansa several times already , but have found it weeks & months later . I can tell the difference in cheap earphones & average grade , but I have never tried high end earphones . Mayby I shouldn't , that way I won't know what I'm missing . :thumbsup:

Hi PRO ,

Are the Bose worth the cost ? & how much do they cost ? I hate to loose expensive stuff & I've lost the Sansa several times already , but have found it weeks & months later . I can tell the difference in cheap earphones & average grade , but I have never tried high end earphones . Mayby I shouldn't , that way I won't know what I'm missing . :thumbsup:

hey Rodger at your age it shouldn't matter. My hearing is so bad I could listen through a tin can with a string and it would sound ok.

i paid 160 for the bose, because whenever I fly, I like them to cancel out the noise around me and elimnate the crying kids, vomiting people, etc, as far as sound quality they are phenominal, but as for the cost, i just don't see it, but i had a gift card last year for x-mas, so it was only about 50 bucks out of my pocket, I hate loosing expensive stuff myself, I just found my damn Ipod last week , after a month of looking, lol, so I gave it to the wife, she can loose it then bitch at herself instead of me, lol

Hi PRO ,

hey Rodger at your age it shouldn't matter. My hearing is so bad I could listen through a tin can with a string and it would sound ok.

Everything is still working & my hearing works better than most of the people I know .. even the young ones . I do have a certain area that I'm tone deaf from operating heavy equipment & trucks all my life . I can hear a gnat burp @ 50' .  :thumbsup:

Guest fivestar

I can hear a gnat burp @ 50'

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D I am gonna have to remember that one.

lol , in the other version .. the gas comes out the other end ....