Sign in to follow this  
stormy

Shuts off while cutting

This has happened 4 times now...I'm trying to cut this 6" by 6" and When I send it to get cut it starts cutting, gets about 70% done, then my laptop shuts down. This is getting really frustrating! Any suggestions? Anybody want to try cutting it?

Budweiser.eps

Budweiser.eps

Are you using USB?  Does it always happen in the same place?  I have been at an industry show in China all week.  One of the things that came up in discussions is that some Celeron processor motherboards have faulty USB chipsets.  It was indicated that it might be related to current draw.  First I would try using a serial port if you have one.  Second, I would unplug all other USB devices and try again.  If that does not work, try disabling virus protection and other non-essential programs.

Yeah I'm using an Acer Aspire 5000 notebook and it doesn't have a serial port so I have to use USB. I've unplugged and retried it before. No luck. I think I'm going to try breaking it up into sections and cutting it. Hopefully that works. If it doesn't it looks like I may be upgrading the computer....again. lol. I'll let you know.

Okay, so I tried cutting it in 3 cuts. This will work but I need some help again. I cut color one with no problem. Onto color two. I start the cutter in the same origin as the first cut but color 2 is smaller so it doesn't line up at all and then it cuts weeding lines for color 2 through the color 1 cut. Not gonna work.

I could cut it 3 times, on different spots on the vinyl but I'd rather not waste that much vinyl nor do I want to go through the hassle of trying to line up 3 cuts.

Am I going to have to do it the hard way or does anyone have some suggestions. Help is very appreciated as I have to cut like 15 of these stupid things.

Anything is possible, very little is easy.

A 6" x 6" logo should cut wthout your computer shutting completely down. You should not need to section something that small. I assume you are using SinCut to cut with? I will try and cut it tomorrow when I am in the office and see if it does the same for me with USB.

Right. I ended up getting them all cut ok. Not how I wanted...I wanted to white part to be open but I ended up having to layer white vinyl over the black (red on a few). I cut 11 of them, 2 cutting sessions per decal. My computer shut down twice during the process so I'm thinking its just the laptop. I'll be upgrading to a dell desktop real soon if that's the case.

Anyhow, let me know your results. I'm going to make more of these but damn, what a lot of work.

Went to Best Buy last night and bought a new computer. They had a sale going for an HP Slim desktop package. Paid $730 for A 250 GB HP Desktop, 17" Flatscreen, and a printer. I'm still in the process of installing all my software and copying files from my laptop. Hopefully this thing won't shut off in the middle of cutting now. Windows Vista is sweet by the way.

If anyone is interested in buying my laptop I'll sell for $500. It's got Corel, Inkscape, Photoshop, Signcut, Microsoft Office, and a lot more..I'd have to check because there's so many programs I dont use. I use CorelDRAWX3, Signcut, and Quickbooks. I don't think Quickbooks would be transferable. It's got thousands of dollars worth of programs so I won't sell cheaper than that.

I'll let you know how my cutting goes when I get everything loaded onto my new pc.

Yep, it was the laptop. My new computer cut it perfecly. Thank God.