Sign in to follow this  
Guest Schramm

MSR Mirror silvering remover (4 knucklehead) - YouTube Video

Guest Schramm

Knucklehead,

I made a short video on how the MSR works so that you could see how fast it removes silvering from the back of mirrors.  You first must strip the painted backing using a high quality stripper and squeege the paint off and then rinse the glass under warm water (I use a non scrub kitchen sponge), then air dry and then apply your vinyl.

NOTE:  Keep in mind this is a mirror so you must reverse the image!!!

If anyone else has question on how to use this I am happy to help.  I have a little Flip Camera for making videos so I can make them quick!

Schramm

Guest Schramm

No it is designed to remove the mirror silvering for either adding a design or re-silvering

So the paint stripper doesn't harm the silvering? Never knew that. Can't wait to try it. After we get our design in place and erased, would we use a good oil based size, fast, slow, One Shot? I would think it would have to be a quality sizing, since you will be able to see it in the front of the mirror?

Guest Schramm

You can use either waterbased size such as Aqua size or Wunda size or an oil size or even in some instances waterbased poly out of a spray can (higher gloss as it stays tackier.)  If you are painting in your lettering I always use oil either spray paints or rustolium roll on.  Once you have the stuff and clean out your first design you will be hooked, I have never once found anyone that wasnt shocked the first time they used it on how fast it disolves the silvering.  You will find that you are able to do all kinds of things with mirrors with this product. 

Let me know when you get it.

Rob

I was looking for something like this to remove silver from a mirror to put a tv behind it! I want to remove a small section..This looks like it will work great!

;D:P

Guest Schramm

Yes this will work for what you need it for!  I have done that before and added design to the boarder of mirror still left.

Rob

Yes this will work for what you need it for!  I have done that before and added design to the boarder of mirror still left.

Rob

You have any pics for that?

Guest Schramm

No unfortunatly I do not photograph everything but here is how you can do it.

strip the back of the mirror exposing the mirroring (silvering), then clean it a number of times with distilled water and a soft cotton cloth squeeging it off when you are done.  Once clean go to your software and make a rectangle box and make the part you do not want to remove black and the inner box that you do want to cut out white.  Size it to the piece of the glass that you are going to put over the tv and cut the vinyl.  Pull the center that you are going to remove the silvering on the mirror and make sure that your edges of the vinyl are tight to the glass (can do this with a hair dryer and a felt squeege.  Next using MSR on a cotton ball wipe over the silvering removing the part you want clear and clean that area with windex.  Next pull the other vinyl on the outer edges where it is still mirrored and tape around the center so that you can paint with a roller 2 coats of black rustolium oil based paint.  Once dry you are DONE!!!