Jeff Fennel

Airbrush Stencil material?

Hi - does anyone have advice on cutting stencils for airbrushing? I understand .5mil Mylar is sort of standard. I'm trying to decide which cutter and supplies to purchase. Which cutter would work best with this material? Thanks for any help!

Jeff

Any of the models we offer should cut mylar just fine, but for airbrushing stencils, I would recommend paint mask vinyl.

Thanks - I probably should have specified I need them to be reusable - sort of like drafting templates. I think the paint mask vinyl has low-tack adhesive?

Thanks - I probably should have specified I need them to be reusable - sort of like drafting templates. I think the paint mask vinyl has low-tack adhesive?

Indeed, so not as reusable. Mylar cuts fine.

:thumbsup:

I'll let you know when I track down a source for the Mylar. Ken - could you help me understand the differences between a US Cutter and a Roland 24? I'm just getting started on my research and wonder why the huge price difference. Also what about .7mil Mylar? Still cut ok?

Thanks again - Jeff

Not sure where to get mylar, sorry. Maybe a google search...

If it is popular enough, USCutter may offer it in the near future.  :thumbsup:

The units cut up to 1mm (about 40mils), so 7mil mylar would be a piece of cake.

Roland is name brand, and the USCutter models are not.....end results are the same though. With a Roland, you pay for the name, their advertising, and the overall fit and finish. The GX24 for example, also has an optical registration mark sensor system for contour cutting. So do the GraphTec models we offer, which are in the same price range as the Rolands. The only USCutter with contour cutting capabilities, is the LaserPoint series. Next step up would be the GraphTecs...

Thanks for the help Ken - that clears things up a bit. I may end up with the Graphtec because I'd like the ability to do registration/contour cutting of some decals.

Here is a Mylar source (they call it "Clearcut 5B and 7B") I found through an airbrush forum. I hope they don't compete with any US Products!

Thanks again -

Jeff

for stencil material, go over to mike learns airbrush site, and go to the store link, they sell stencil material, ive used it, and its solvent proof, and my us cutter cuts it like butter, hope this helps

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but ...

Do I need to put the mylar on some sort of backing so that I don't cut into the strip that is below the vinyl when cutting vinyl?  Any idea if transparency film (like they used in school with overhead projectors) would work and would be cuttable?

Thanks

Yes, you need a backing material.  If you're cutting into the strip, it will affect the quality of your cutting, and will have to be replaced.  Some people use application tape for this.  I use material from Bren, Inc. which has a backing that is removed without leaving an adhesive on the "mylar".

Who offers the mylar? does it come on a roll or sheets?

they come as both, i found them on on ebay. And my US cutter laser point as well  :thumbsup: