Sign in to follow this  
neron15210

redoing back lite sign - need help

I've finished job for guy in my neighborhood , and  he found me another job (for friend of his).

Guy has back-lite sign on his store (20' x 2') and he wants me to remove old vinyl from sign and install new letters (20" tall)single color .

He is going to bring sign down and place it back after its done.

How much to charge him? This guy can send me more business (he knows a lot of car dealers , landlords etc..) I need to get this job but still to make some money (I do not want to work for "nothing")

And another question is : Can I use oracle 651 for this job or....?

Any input is more than welcome .

Thanks

I have the same situation going on right now also. I believe you need to use Oracal 8100, 8300 or 8500 the translucent vinyls. Dont know if its worth removing the old or just replacing the lens cover. Im waiting to see others replys as well

I do not think he wants to replace front cover ( it's not even a year old).

It should not be a big problem to remove it (heat gun )

Monday I'm going to Fellers to get some vinyl , but I'm not sure  what to us for this project.

Usually i find answers on my questions here.

I believe you need to use Oracal 8100, 8300 or 8500 the translucent vinyls.

Only thought about replacing because I dont know what a new cover costs might cost you more in time to remove the old stuff than to replace the cover.

I checked into doing this same thing. To replace the sign it would be about $300 + lettering/labor (app 4x20') I wasn't sure how long it would take to remove the old lettering with a heat gun. But I was told, on the forum, it wasn't worth the time it would take to remove the vinyl. And I would most likely end up with a ghost image of the old lettering. It was suggested to use the translucent vinyl for a back lit sign. So far, the client hasn't moved forward one way or the other with this project. Please keep us informed how it works out for you. I still wonder which is the norm for this type of project.

I just went to the store to get fresh bread for breakfast, and stop by store I'm about to redo sign for.. I do not know who placed vinyl on this sign (year ago) but vinyl is coming of (peeling).

Here is picture.

Inputs please.

post-2556-12986528447775_thumb.jpg

post-2556-12986528449225_thumb.jpg

post-2556-12986528470859_thumb.jpg

post-2556-12986528472074_thumb.jpg

Anyone?

What vinyl should I use and how much to charge for this job?

Guy will call me tomorrow to give him price.

Again, translucent vinyl for backlit signs is what I was told to use before. As for pricing you could check with local sign shops? Cody or Core may be able to help with pricing as I believe both have done this type of work. Good Luck

put the best quality vinyl on there you can get. it is peeling off already because the last guy or gal used cheap vinyl. possibly did not degrease it properly either. as for the translucent argument, do you want light to come through the design or do you want the light to only come through around the graphic?

bb

This is the vinyl you want. It's expensive.

http://www.nfsupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=24U8500-Colors&Category_Code=VFS46

Your best bet is getting a 10 yd roll. If the vinyl can be removed easily, say if it'll take ya less than 2 hours, do that. Otherwise get a new piece of acrylic. I'd usually say just get new acrylic, but it's the 20ft piece that kills ya. you'd have to buy an oversized 10 footer and fuse it together.

I'd charge $400-450 if I were in your situation. I'm willing to bet the guy paid $4000 for the lighted sign.

neron,

let me know if you need the acrylic or lexan for this job.  I know of a plastics company that sells this stuff in Pittsburgh.

totalplastics.com  click on the map for pittsburgh and they have the phone number and address.

I bought from them and they cut it to size for me.