kctrader

Static Cling

Does anybody have any experience with static cling vinyl?

I'm looking to lay some 651 onto static cling to make a temporary sign that can be reused.  Anybody know anyone who sells or sends samples of static cling?  I hate to buy a whole roll if it won't work for my purpose. 

I just recently used the Avery clear static cling and Oracal 651 to make removable signs for a car lot. they place them on the windshield of the vehicle and remove them when they want to test drive or change the slogan. It was purchased from Signwarehouse (15" x 30' roll) for $28. I just saw the other day they dropped it to $21 for clearance. It was the clear version and after a month or two it is still looking good. Was going to take a pic of them but customer took delivery before i thought about it.

Thanks for the reply.  That's exactly what I was looking to do.  I had read on an old post there was a problem with the 651 causing the static to pucker up.

That wasn't your experience?

the Oracal shrinks some , so that causes the wrinkles . I'm not sure what vinyl doesn't shrink .

Thanks for the reply.  That's exactly what I was looking to do.  I had read on an old post there was a problem with the 651 causing the static to pucker up.

That wasn't your experience?

The only thing i noticed was when removing the app tape, it would sometimes create an air pocket in the cling material. What was happening was the cling material was pulling away from the white backing sheet that you remove when you use the cling. So that wasn't a problem, you can just peel back the backing paper and re-apply it. My only issue was that the app tape i used was a high tack and it was a little hard to remove from the clear cling. I prob could have done a wet install and not had as much trouble removing it but didnt want to wait for it to "tack-off". Overall it  was an easy job and they have held up well for a couple of months. Now that it is getting colder, we will see. Customer is happy and it is a cost savings to him. The colorful "shoe polish" guy was charging $7 per car and it is not reusable like the cling is.

Rainey - Would you mind sharing what you charged per car?  I'm looking at doing about a 15" x 32" cling.  I'm not sure what the marked is like here for car dealers.  Thanks.

sure... $20.00 each. i bought a 30 foot roll and made 10 3 foot signs. Used 651 in orange, yellow, white and pink (one color only on each sign) and used phrases like "hot deal", "look", "this week's special" and others like you would normally see on used car lots. Customer is very pleased that they can be reused over and over.

I just ordered 15"x 30' clear static cling vinyl from fellers and they lowered their price to $21 to match signwarehouses  price, I will pick it up so no S&H.

I have order for 6 signs (we finance) 30"  $17.00 a piece.

Rainey, give it to me again im a little slow. Are you using the clear cling like a banner? putting 651 onto the cling? then putting the cling onto the cars

Thanks for the input guys - just ordered some of the static cling from sign warehouse - going to do some cling decals for a local school.

;)

Steve

Thanks this was yet another informative thread and I learned something new today...

This thread has really peaked my interest, does anyone have some pics the could post of the finished decals? It would be nice to see the work.

This thread has really peaked my interest, does anyone have some pics the could post of the finished decals? It would be nice to see the work.

ditto that.  :thumbsup:

I am glad i ran across this post.

I am just starting to do this same thing for car lots and convience stores.

its cold now but was wondering how they hold up in 100 degree weather?

do they shrivel up?

Here is 2 out of 6 I've made today.

Avery cling , shine rite vinyl, wet application  .

Make sure you wet the tape before removing from the cling.

post-2556-12986528720614_thumb.jpg

post-2556-12986528721922_thumb.jpg

post-2556-12986528741425_thumb.jpg

post-2556-12986528742828_thumb.jpg

Nice job  What is the partial sign for ?

Did you apply the red Don Ho style ?  :thumbsup: .

Regards , B T Rodger

Here is 2 out of 6 I've made today.

Avery cling , shine rite vinyl, wet application  .

Make sure you wet the tape before removing from the cling.

do you mean wet the tape b4 weeding?

regards duke

I'm sure what was meant is to wet the application tape after applying decal to static cling vinyl & before removing the transfer tape .

I'm sure what was meant is to wet the application tape after applying decal to static cling vinyl & before removing the transfer tape .

I took it this way too...............but that doesn't mean I'm right!  :thumbsup:

???the cling has backing paper,no?

is this what you mean for transfer tape?

regards duke

Hey all--- sorry i havn't checked in lately. Been up to my butt in shirt orders!

Glad to see others can use this info. Easy way to make some money. I havn't took any pictures of mine- guess I need to. I did not try the wet app but i would think it would be easier to remove the transfer tape. I wan't that hard without it but if it makes it easier, go for it. I think on my next order i will try it.

So far we have had below normal temps for this area so far (steady 30s at night, 50s day ) and I am happy to say they are holding up very well. 3 months and little/no degrading of the cling.

transfer tape is used to place the vinyl lettering to the static cling. You peel it off to leve the lettering on the cling. The backing paper is removed when the cling is put into use.

Mark