Sign in to follow this  
jhocksrule

Error Please Help

I have a pcut. I run Vista and I'm connected by a usb cable. I would much rather be connected by serial, but my pc doesn't have serial ports, only usb. When I send a job to the cutter I get an error. "Can not open the output device. Error initializing cutter." Can someone please help. Thanks in advance.

have you ever been able to cut from that computer? What software are you running? and when you setup the usb driver did you choose the COM port in the software that shows in device manager?

You tried unplugging the USB cable, rebooting the computer and all that good stuff? I have a Pcut that ran for months on USB but didnt have vista. Now its serial on a desktop but I never had problems either way. If you dont have serial you might want to look into a keyspan adapter or whatever they get brought up as a workaround on here alot. Also if you have another USB cable to try just to make sure it is not the cable.

Got it to work that time. It is hit and miss. Sometimes it'll take off, then other times not. This time it did cut, but it cut a diagonal line through it. What is that all about?

Hmm that is wierd. What got it to cut?

As for the line i am not sure what that would be, I figgured Ken or someone would have jumped in by now but I will ask do you notice alot of static when your cutting? I think I remember someone saying a while back that static caused weird things. is your pcut on a stand? If so is it grounded to the stand?

Sorry, came in a bit late today.

Another USB and Vista issue....blah.

Do you have a Serial to USB cable you could try?

No I don't. I was thinking about buying one. Are they worth the money. Do they work very well. I have heard mixed reviews on them.

No I don't. I was thinking about buying one. Are they worth the money. Do they work very well. I have heard mixed reviews on them.

Depends on the computer and what else you have on it. Should work fine, just as the direct USB should, but nobody has the same computer as the next person, which leaves so many variables for conflict/ issues. Only about $30 at Radio Shack, and you could always take it back if it does not help.

What do you mean what else on the computer. Software or Hardware?  It is a Dell Inspiron 530S. Just got it about 2 weeks ago.

How does the cable work. Is it better to use the serial connection the the pcut? Does it trick the computer into thinking it is a serial connection, and not a usb?

What do you mean what else on the computer. Software or Hardware?  It is a Dell Inspiron 530S. Just got it about 2 weeks ago.

Could be both or either...

How does the cable work. Is it better to use the serial connection the the pcut? Does it trick the computer into thinking it is a serial connection, and not a usb?

Yes, I think it emulates a Serial port.