Sign in to follow this  
neron15210

I'm going legal

As I 've mentioned  before I've been laid of  now. So I would like to go legal and take my hobby / part time job/new passion to new level , so I will need some help and advices /inputs from nice people on this  for me very helpful

forum.

Tomorrow I have to go to the  City to file for DBA  license .

Where in Pittsburgh PA I can get DBA (I have no experience with those kind of things)

Also, do I need anything else in order do work legally  (any other permits or licenses) ?

Is DBA all I need to charge customer  sales tax?

I hope you guys will help me with this.

Regards

no idea in PA but in TN you need a state sales tax number. Here,you need that BEFORE you can get your local business license.

Your city should have a website with all the info,as well as the state. In TN, you can apply for the sales tax # online.

Also in TN..you need a business license from the COUNTY as well as the City. They all want their piece of the pie and also your Personal property taxes.

Here would be a good place to start:

http://www.businesslicenses.com/Licenses/PA/

Thanks BannerJohn

I've been searching all night but ...

Hope someone from Pitt has answer to my questions.

Regards

check with your state labor and industries board.

bb

neron,

You can do everything on the PA for Business website.  One application will sign you up for your sales tax # and anything else you need.  You shouldn't need to leave your house to do this.  www.paopen4business.state.pa.us/

does your state require you to have insurance? or a bond?

bb

Thanks SNLSD for good info (link)

Everything is done (DBA , sales tax license ) as you said without leaving house.

wow..in Tenn the sales tax license is free,and the local DBA is $15 most places. I guess that's because Tennessee has 9.25% sales tax. They want you to establish a business.

The $70 is only if you register a fictitious name.  If you go with something like John Doe Signs and Graphics then you don't have to pay the extra money. 

is anyone from the MD area? I was looking into the Business License and possible EIN for taxes...

Not sure what is the correct steps...

to get your business rolling, in my area all i did was:

call state gov and ask to be forwarded to proper offices

registered my biz name

got approved by my towns town hall to do business in the area

got sales and use tax license for instate sales

and that was pretty much it, might want to pick up quickbooks 2009 at walmart, staples or office depot for $200 to get your invoicing started on point  :)

I know in New Jersey, i went to the county store, got my business license for $50, then applied for my EIN number over the net and also change my company to a LLC!

Same here ... I registered the business name, did an LLC, then applied for the EIN.

EIN aren't necessary if you're going to be a "one-man-show".  I applied for the EIN because I didn't want to give out my SSN to some of my contract clients.