routesmith

What length vinyl do you buy

What length vinyl do you typically buy?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What length vinyl do you typically buy?

• 10 foot
    • 5 yard
    • 10 yard
    • 25 yard
    • 50 yard

Just a quick poll because I noticed that USCUTTERDIRECT.COM sells Orcal651 in 10 yard rolls and I am curious to know what length most people buy in wherever you buy it from ?? I personally will be the first vote for 50 yard cause thats all I buy.

Wayne

I have only bought 10 yard rolls for sign vinyl so far, I plan on my next roll of white to be 50 yards though that seems to be used the most for me. I have been sticking with 10yd rolls so I can buy an assortment of colors.

With me it all depends on what I am going to use it for. I usually buy 10 yard rolls because I don't go through that much. I will buy 50 yard rolls for some things and others I will buy it by the foot at a local supplier. According to most manufacturers vinyl does have a shelf life of 1 to 2 years. I can't see buying 50 yards of some color that you may never use again.

Most of our colors like white,black,red,blue,silver,orange,green we buy in 50 yard our other colors are 10 yard. We keep pretty busy and order vinyl atleast once a week,

always 50 yards in most colors. I try to stock all colors except for specialty vinyl..that I order when needed by the yard. 50 yards of black lasts me about a week or less. Same for red.

always 50 yards in most colors. I try to stock all colors except for specialty vinyl..that I order when needed by the yard. 50 yards of black lasts me about a week or less. Same for red.

Holy Cow Batman, (er BannerJohn) you use a lot of vinyl!

Holy Cow Batman, (er BannerJohn) you use a lot of vinyl!

well, 4 of the  4x8 banners each with 3 lines of text takes 32 yards. It goes fast. I average 10-15 banners a week of different sizes. That's not counting coroplast and magnetics. And I do a lot of lettering too.

We use to get the 10 yard rolls, but find it's really not worth it, especially if you go through alot!  I agree the larger banners definitely eat up the vinyl much quicker!

John i can only hope to get that busy, lol

everybody needs signs,even if they don't know it. It's up to you to let them know it. My brother sold 6 banners just by doing a walk through at an indoor flea market one Saturday.  One banner costs less (on average) than one minute radio commercial or a tiny ad in the paper...and it will sell a product! Stuff like that is what you tell them...

If you are driving down the road and see a lousy sign or a worn out one at a business..stop and talk to them. If they say cash is tight,offer to trade. I think jen told me she got enough hay to feed her goats all winter for one banner.

Once word gets out...you won't have to go looking for work...it will come to you.

Oh...you could probably trade a small banner for a Chrismas tree if you tried. Those Christmas tree lots usually have lousy signs and always have trees left over and they know they will.

I had my corn dog concession at a festival back in July..I made ONE coroplast sign that got me and my crew free shaved ice all weekend long. Philly steak too.

Remember,all someone can do is say no. I don't know of any sign guy getting shot yet.

Yes that's right John, we got enough hay for our goats on one banner to get us through winter!  :thumbsup:

Yes that's right John, we got enough hay for our goats on one banner to get us through winter!  :thumbsup:

and if times get really tough,you can sleep on the hay and eat the goats!

Yes that's right John, we got enough hay for our goats on one banner to get us through winter!  ;D

and if times get really tough,you can sleep on the hay and eat the goats!

lmao John, never quite thought of it..but the goat is getting pretty old..meats probably getting tough  :thumbsup:

well according to the poll the winner seems to be 10 yard rolls maybe Ill look at that when my regular vinyl guy doesnt have my color.

Wayne

Mostly 10yd rolls for now.

Taking things slow learning as I go - don't want to get too busy till I am ready for it. I still have a "somewhat real job" that comes first.

BannerJohn -- thanks for the tips, I may have to try some of them.

well according to the poll the winner seems to be 10 yard rolls maybe Ill look at that when my regular vinyl guy doesnt have my color.

Wayne

I think that most of us who do this full time buy 50 yds in the basic colors. I use more red than anything,and a lot of black too. Around June I use a lot of blue and white as well...and come Nov  the green starts to sell. I bought a roll of pink thinking I'd never sell it,and now I'm on my third roll. If people know you have pink,or purple,or silver...you will be surprized how often they will chose it. The only color I really almost never get a call for is Teal..and I've never had anyone ask for beige.

I always keep grey for shadows,it looks great as a shadow.

Oh now you tell us John about the beige.........lmao....I just bought a roll of beige!  :-

I didn't say I never use it...I said I never had anyone ASK for it. It comes in very handy for faces,hands,etc in graphics where skin is needed.Also where you need two shades of brown,it can double for light brown.

Wayne, you are't alone, I bought a 50 yard roll as well............lol.

I know it will come in handy for certain things...such as accents to a design, etc.

Jenny

i buy my vinyl by the yard at my local sign supplier. i also buy a lot of their $1 remnants. i am still at the hobby phase, so i don't need much stock. if i get a job for signage i order what i need for that job.

bb

I buy 50 yard rolls for the basic colors.  Red, black, white, blue.  10 yard rolls for everything else, unless I have a big job where I know I'm going to use most of the 50 yard roll. 

Funny thing about Teal.  I bought a roll for a small job and suddenly needed it for another job.  John is right, when they know you have the color they want you'll usually sell it.