cncartworks

Sign fabrication question

Ok here is what I would like to do. The customer has given me a sign to do with lettering on top and overlaping a tri color piramid.

I can make up all the components seperately . I want to place them all on a single piece of backing (release paper) and then transfer it to the vehicle, in one shot.

Is there a release paper that I can purchase to do this, or will I need to place them on seperately?

you can just use the release paper that comes on the roll of vinyl....

Make it like a sandwhich...

your bottom bun is the release paper and your top bun is your application tape...

Start with your top bun and place on your top layer...

peel away that application tape, and then your next layer the same thing...

then your final layer, just dont peel off the release sheet till your ready to apply...

I think thats what yoru aksing??? no?

Yea, i guess you're right.I was looking at it from the wrong direction I think.

I can do that.

Thanks Tater,

Kewl...

I prefer to just layer the images on the car or whatever substrate you are using...

I just lay the bottom layer... then then the rest... but I use a wet installation method...

Sure, it takes longer... and you use more application tape... but the results are better...

when you are laying out your layers on the bench... it can be tricky lining up the registration marks... and if you make an error, and cant save it... you have to re-cut everything...  using the wet method of layering it directy on your substrate has many benefits including being able to move the layers to line them up... no air bubbles, and less chance of ruining yoru vinyls...

You're right there.What makes it tough is the guy wants to apply them himself.

I figure if I let him and he messes it up, he will let me do it and i'll make 3 times as much on the job.

His workers call him Einstine...............

I agree with Tater on both counts, the method for layering on the bench and the actual preferred method.  I am very new to this but my first application required layering vinyl.  I had much better success applying the layers wet directly on the substrate one at a time, this gives you a chance to reposition the graphic if you didn't get it lined up exactly with the registration marks.  Other than registration problems when layering in on the table, I also got bubbles between the layers of vinyl and couldn't really tell until I applied it to the vehicle or whatever.  Then it is too late, dry vinyl on vinyl really sticks really good.  If you are doing multiple colors that don't overlap each other then either method works fine.