Sign in to follow this  
datoshway

blade pressure

My last machine did not have this issue but this one does, I have the blade way down, like alot further then it should be (usually was about half a credit card length down) this one is about 3 credit card widths down, and it's still not cutting all the way through.  What else needs to be adjusted here?

Guest sciondrgn

What is your pressure setting at?

Couple things to check,

Make sure the blade does not have adhesive gummed up in there or bits of vinyl. Also how old is the blade? Maybe try another blade and see if its time to replace.

Post a picture of how you have the blade holder loaded in the carriage arm...

also just a couple other notes,

I tried 2 different blades and no matter how far down I put the blade (manually turning it down) it still doesn't effect how it's cutting.  It' barley making cuts.

It looks right as long as the lip of the blade holder is flush on top of the carriage arm. What is your pressure setting at on the cutter itself?

On the cutter itself, press the Online button to take it offline, then use the Mode button to navigate the menu options. One of them is Press (short for pressure).

I have to ask...is the blade holder dropping down when it should?

Yeah it's coming down as it should just not hard enough, its cutting the vinyl correctly but barley, the cuts are just shallow, however that small amount makes the peeling process hellish.

Guest sciondrgn

I still find this so weird.. at 80 mine cuts great. If I go anywhere near 120 im breaking through the backing even with the blade as far in as I can get it so it still cuts lol..

I honestly think it varies from cutter to cutter. As my old granny used to say "whatever works for you!"

Guest sciondrgn

I honestly think it varies from cutter to cutter. As my old granny used to say "whatever works for you!"

I think mine is backwards.. The lower the pressure the harder it cuts LOL.. Maybe it just doesn't know its own strength?

;D

I was switching back and forth from cutting static cling and vinyl. I also didn't want to spring for an extra holder or keep changing and resetting blade depth to cut small stuff versus large. My solution was to switch to a 60* cutter and set the press to 140 for everything. I just adjusted the blade depth until it cut the material and not the backing. I haven't had any luck at all with a visual setting on blade depth. I just had to make a cut, adjust, and make another cut until it worked. My blade is just barely sticking out of the holder though. If I tried to set it the thickness of 3 credit cards it with be carving through the metal platform.

THANK YOU all for this post!  I too had my blade as low as possible and it was cutting horribly.  Now pressure adjusted and it's awesome!!!!!

Can anyone tell me where to get more blades now???  Reasonably priced as well.  Do these take Roland blades??

Thanks,

Lacey

I will have to agree with John on that. It seems that there are some manufacturing tolerances/differences in the machines (not surprising actually, when you think about just how much "machine" you get for the price of a PCUT!).

From reading the forums, many seem to run their PCUT's between 100-120 pressure, however, with almost less than half of a CC thickness of blade exposed (60d) the blade will dig into the backing and start to "skip" or "getting caught" a tad bit on it on My machine. When I take my pressure down to about 70 it cuts OC751 like a charm!

Actually, I have to say that since unpacking the PCUT last night and running some vinyl through it, that machine, with the 60d blade cuts small stuff nicer and easier to weed than my Graphtec with the 45...but then again, I am not sure if I want to run the amount and size of jobs that I run on the Graphtec with the PCUT - Each of them has their purpose I guess ;-)

--zaxxon

I am no expert . That is what I did when I got my cutter ... adjusted the pressure more than the blade depth .. EVEN though I read many members & Techs saying to adjust the blade instead . I have reduced the blade depth several times thinking I had it right . I now take the blade holder & adjust the blade by pressing hard on a peice of vinyl until it cuts just the vinyl & barely makes a mark on the backing paper . IMO & from reading , If you have low blade pressure , you have the blade sticking out too far .  :lol:

Mine I can't set lower then 105 because the holder won't drop under that. mines at 130 to 140. tThey are possessed