Mohrning

SignCut keeps crashing on mac

I am using a mac PowerBook G4, I have CS3 and SignCut X2 installed. I used the plug in to send it from CS3 to SignCut, every time I try to cut, the software crashes, what am I missing? I did install the drivers and purchased a MH721. appreciate any help, I am new to cutters and hope to get this running soon. I also tried both USB ports, but the same happens on both.

Which program are you sending files from? Illustrator? Is it a large file? I had a Powerbook G4 and had issues when I upgraded to CS3. I ended up selling it on eBay and buying a new iMac. Not that that is the solution. I think you are sending too large a file or that you are trying to send an incompatible file format.

Does it do the same when you export the file from Illy, then open with SignCut? Could be a problem with the file as well...

Unfortunately is does it with any file, no matter if I do it through Illustrator or if I only use the SignCut X2 logo file which comes up by default in SignCut. I think it is more a problem of SignCut not running properly or not finding the cutter, but not sure. I will try to install it on an Intel powerbook of a friend today to see if that will work.

so the different machine did not crash : ) but I think I am still missing a crucial part in the set up since there does not seem to be any communication between the computer and the serial interface. I am using the usb connection and have installed the drivers for the according machine and OS. Installed SignCut X2 and went through the set up.

Set up was strange though, it asked for TC/IP or  serialport # as far as I remember, what do I select here since neither apply with a usb interface? ...I also tried to run it on vista on a intel macbook pro and had no luck. I am thinking of getting a usb to serial cable to see if that works. I know the machine is detecting the cutter since vista poped up found new hardward....

On a side note, I too couldn't get it to work using the USB alone. I got the Keyspan adapter and had been using that. On a daring whim I decided to go back to the USB serial cable alone, but I used the driver for the Keyspan and that worked. I am using an Intel Mac as well. I wonder if there is an issue with SignCut getting along with PowerPC?

My first guess is that your device for output is set incorrectly. When you open signcut without sending a file does it crash? Does it crash when you try to cut our logo? Please open Signcut and tell us what you have set for device. Click the cutter button and pull down the device drop down list and give use the listings you have there.

You might also try deleting the Signcut folder and emptying your trash then reinstall a fresh install from the latest revision found on our website after logging in using your license and email.

yes , works great on the Windows XP computer I have .

Does anyone on these boards even have Signcut working on a non Intel Mac?

I have configured several customers with our machines and SignCut running a PowerPC Mac.

Signcut is absolutely a good idea, but is not supported well at all for Mac.

One such example:  Look two or three posts up... 

Question:  Does ANYONE have Signcut working on their MAC?

Reply:  Works fine on my Windows machine.

Does anyone else see the problem here?  Signcut is a very badly written application for Mac OS platforms.  Understandable, since pretty much everyone in the sign/vinyl cutting business used PC and Corel.  Now that graphic professionals using Illustrator are getting into the mix with vinyl graphics, there is without a doubt, going to be an application which will work flawlessly on the Mac.

Me personally?  I am an avid Mac user and have been for 20 years, but have always had PC desktops and notebooks as well.  To be honest, this is not the type of work I want to do on a PC.  I'm still in therapy from Apple's brush with bankruptcy in the early 90's....  And, as a graphic designer who would rather hire someone else to do my graphics because of the bugs with operating systems, need for common platforms & hardware, mixed with application and software bugs which seem to be the norm these days, it is safe to say that I am doing the right thing.  Nowadays people actually put up with Signcut crashing...  This is unbelievable-especially when you take into account business owners in the vinyl cutting world do not have the time to profit in a market where "efficiency" is absolute.

Signcut and USCutter-in my humble opinion-are onto something:  MAC users.  Why?  If not for the Windows users who are turning to Mac OS platforms, the fact that industry standard applications used by true graphic designers such as Illustrator (I'm a Freehand guy..  Or WAS a Freehand guy) and Adobe other standards, interface with cutter software.  There is no doubt in my mind that Mac users are now and will be the fastest growing sector in this market place, and USCutter and Signcut are making it possible for print shops, graphic designers, and service bureaus seeking growth in new areas can buy a vinyl cutter, get software which should work, and start seeing net profits-all for just a few hundred dollars.

I see Mac users in this forum..  There are more and more all the time-each saying the same thing:  THE VINYL CUTTER DOESN'T WORK...  AND...  SIGNCUT CRASHES.

If Signcut and USCutter are smart, they will take notice and become "Pioneers" in this industry, and reap the benefits from the future of where this business is going.  I've researched this trade in five (5) countries worldwide, and have numbers to support my claim. 

BUT...  The fact is, an idea is not good enough.  I feel-like most Mac users-that we are being ignored.  What needs to be said, is that we are in numbers, we're not going to use PC to make THEIR products work, and my favourite:

If you don't take care of your customers..  Someone else will.  As a business owner myself, I can appreciate product launches and hard working companies such as USCutter & Signcut.  It is obvious that the development stage is happening now, but I don't feel like being an unpaid, putout customer who is wasting time by even posting my concerns about USCutter & Signcut products working with Mac's.

Don't worry my fellow Mac colleagues...  Someone soon will get it..  And when they do-we'll be the loyal, money spending customers which businesses thrive from.  At this point, I don't see why USCutter and Signcut couldn't become our answer..  So the real question is:  Why aren't they?

PC vs. Mac.  Vista.... The future of backwards thinking, that even Microsoft can't force feed their own. 

ewe , you posted this

Signcut is absolutely a good idea, but is not supported well at all for Mac.

One such example:  Look two or three posts up... 

Question:  Does ANYONE have Signcut working on their MAC?

Reply:  Works fine on my Windows machine.

Does anyone else see the problem here?  ................ but I don't feel like being an unpaid, putout customer who is wasting time by even posting my concerns about USCutter & Signcut products working with Mac's.  "

Hmmm , I DO see the problem here !!! The problem is your reading ability & quoting ability ...

The question WAS & still is ;

EXACT Question CORRECTLY quoted = " Does anyone on these boards even have Signcut working on a non Intel Mac? "

I read the NON Intel Mac part & responded with ;

EXACT Reply CORRECTLY quoted =   " yes , works great on the Windows XP computer I have "

QUITE a bit of difference  , AYE ?

;D , How would that question & reply  ( EVEN as misquoted by you ) have been an example of any lack of SignCut support anyway ;D 

Hmmm . I really hope you are a person/sheep of your word & fulfill your following correctly quoted comment  !!!  " but I don't feel like being an unpaid, putout customer who is wasting time by even posting my concerns about USCutter & Signcut products working with Mac's. "

That would mean you don't even reply to this post , wouldn't it ;D ;D ;D AYE ?

I laughed when I read the 1rst wrong part of your post & laughed even harder when I read your snobby comment about " unpaid , putout . customer who is wasting time "

PLEASE don't waste anymore of you'r time , or be unpaid anymore or be putout anymore concerning youself about USCutter & SignCut ... or this forum , members here are nice  :thumbsup:

OH YEAH , I'm having FUN NOW ;D

SignCut X2 works fine on most Macs, and the wonderful guys at Whisque Grpahics in Sweden, are constantly updating their software to address bugs whenever they can. Since I have been with USCutter, almost 2 years now, they have updated over 6 times.

Your particular Mac does not like SignCut? Well, we are not going to troubleshoot by having you format, so it is easiest to suggest finding a Mac without conflicts.

Go Ken and Rodger... Something smells a little fishy to me. He was not asking for help, things that make you want to go hummmm.

Go Ken and Rodger... Something smells a little fishy to me. He was not asking for help, things that make you want to go hummmm.

I agree TS , Like in another thread , ewe is not the original poster with a problem but is the 1 being rude , disrespectfull of the SIgnCut software & support , also disresprctfull of USCutter & their Techs . The original poster in this thread is mannered & deserves respect & help . ewe is blasting SignCut , USCutter in several threads ... I wish someone would let me hold the Ban-Hammer for a milisecond  :thumbsup:  ( 5.0 .. where are you ? )

Ken said in another thread that negative comments are welcome & I understand the realistic, mature outlook of that  :( .. BUT this member ewe goes beyond that , his posts are personal attacks towards USCutter , SignCut & Ken  IMO . I am glad ewe has not come back , either of ewe's keeping of his word or otherwise :(

I am sorry if you have had difficulty using Signcut on a Mac. I can assure you we have thousands of Mac users who have used our product for years. If you would like some help trouble shooting your individual problem please contact us directly at support@sc-x2.com and we will try and assist you promptly.

I can tell you the most common problem associated with Macs and Import Cutters is communication. Most often this problem is solved by using a quality USB/Serial adapter such as the Keyspan adapter mentioned over and over in the forums. Sometimes you may get lucky and find the Mac and the internal USB/Serial card will work with the correct updated drivers but the Keyspan solves 99% of communication problems. Regardless of what cutting software you choose if your Mac and cutter are not communicating it will not work.

Hey guys, not sure if this the crashing is still an issue here or not but I was having the same problem last night.  I was trying to export to signcut via illustrator and when I would go to cut, signcut would crash.  I was able to fix this by making sure I saved the file in eps format prior to sending to signcut, otherwise it loads it in in the native ai format (adobe illustrator).  I also hadn't set the baud rate to match yet, but I'm mostly sure the file format was  the issue.  Hope that helps...

Some files import better in .eps than .ai I have found, not sure why. If .ai does not go, just re-save the file in .eps instead, and try again.